1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much for apt complexes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christopherjustin2003, Feb 18, 2008.

1. christopherjustin2003

christopherjustin2003 LawnSite Member

I am trying to put together a bid on an apartment complex and am curious to see what the highest you guys have ever charged for apartments. The complex comprises of 13 buildings (about 300 units) and around 2500 shrubs. The contract will include 32 cuts plus shrub trimming as needed. Contract is for 12 months. I realize that yall cant give me an accurate bid without more info or pictures. The numbers i am coming up with are around $8500 per month. Is it me or does this seem ridiculous? It is a brand new complex no one has mowed it before. Mowing with a ztr will be very difficult and most of it will have to be done with a walk behind easily taking a full day for a 3 man crew. again i know yall cant give me an estimate based on such little info but i just want to know what the most is yall have charged.
  2. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

Well, welcome to the site! Forgive my bluntness, but you would know that there are too many variables in this thread to properly answer if your were ready to take on a property like this. Good luck.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

300,000 a year was the most ive charged

8,500 a year is the least
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Too many variables dude. One thing I can tell you, is that if you are not setup to handle large accounts don't waste your time bidding. Someone will come in and blow your numbers out of the water based on efficiency alone.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Apartments are easy but they are also very different. Some that we do are
    $45 per building and some are $245 per building. Only you will know what you need to charge.
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Without knowing any real numbers, I would say should not be more than $15,000 for the whole year.

So you are telling him not to charge more than 15 per man hour. I hope that is not what you do or is your math just that bad.
    Why throw numbers out if you dont understand the question?
  8. $17.50 A door works for us then if it has a rear door then its another $17.50 for a total of $35.00 then.
  9. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

I agree with the post TJLANDS two up.

Beyond that my question is what is up with each of these Commercial/Condo bid responses that are on here. When it comes to residential it seems many of you are all about don't undercut the the going rate drives our prices down. Then there is this post and others that are all about how cheep you big guys can do it. If you question what I am talking about look back at the last 8 pages of posts there are a couple of these I can do it cheaper posts. Guys saying stuff I'd do 70,000 square ft for $135.

So a residential 1/6 an acre is worth $35 and something 10 times larger is is only worth $135. So "don't drop the tailgate unless you get $35" --- but once your gate is down go as low as you can --- is that what many of you are saying.

I like this site I do, but man were is the consistency. I just recently bid on 10 1-2 acre HOA properties, I thought I bid good and yet I come here and learn I should have cut all my rates in half.

Now I am hopeful that I get them. I guess I just gotta hope some of you are not in my area undercutting a good profit, just because you can.

Welcome Weekes. You are right and I am glad you decided to finally join and post. Whatever you do, dont alter(Lower) your pricing because of what people post on here.