How much for hired help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4curbappeal, Jul 18, 2006.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I am a realtor and run a lawn service in the summer. I hired a long-time friend, who is a schoolteacher, to help me. We usually switch jobs each yard-- meaning one will trim and blow while the other mows with the big mower and then alternate the next yard. I own all the equipment, pay for all the gas and repairs for the equipment, and provide drinks and occassionally lunch. As of now I am paying him 35% of what I make on each yard he helps me mow... Is this fair?
    Thanks for any information you may provide.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's more then fair. I was going to say between 20-25%. If your paying all the bills and gas then I hope you are making something at 35%

3. 4curbappeal

Thankyou. I appreciate the advice. I just thought 35% was fair because I felt bad only paying him $5 for helping mow a $25 lawn.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

How many of the 25$ lawns can you mow in a hour????

5. 4curbappeal

Wel, probably 1 1/2 to 2, but the thing is that I work as a Realtor in the afternoon and evenings and we, therefore, only mow 5 or 6 a day in about 4 hours.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My labor was around 30 - 35% of the cost so you are OK-

You should move south- I sold off everything because there was to much RE business going on to make running it sensible any more. And mornings off??? that would be nice. My phone is going nuts by 8am. Good luck with the guy, and hope all is well:)

7. rustic

rustic LawnSite Member

I think it would be more fair if you just paid him an hourly rate and be done with it.