How much $ for laying brick

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Petey's Landscaping, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Petey's Landscaping

Petey's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey all, I have hired some masons to lay a 30' wall/3' tall and 15 steps (about 2400 modular brick) made of clay brick and mortar. I am supplying all the materials, pouring the footers, del. sand, etc. They just have to show up and lay brick. We had a verbal agreement on a price of 3250.00 minus materials. The materials are about 1600.00. Leaving them 1650.00 which gives them 687.5 per 1000 brick, they went behind my back and told the homeowner they needed more money. They told him they needed at least 3250.00 for just labor which is about 1326.00 per a 1000 brick. I am not sure what to do about this problem, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

If they were supposed to be working for you - FIRE THEM QUICKLY!

3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

FIre them and appologize to the customer. Next time hire better sub's.

4. Petey's Landscaping

I thought about that, but they are about 2/3 of the way done. So do I let them finish an give them the money we agreed on, or fire them pay them nothing and use that money to hire new masons, or what?

5. ANC Stone Creations

ANC Stone Creations LawnSite Member

You don't need people (contractors) like that around.

Would have to agree with Jimmy and Patriot, fire them.

When you choose a contractor look at some of there work and maybe even contact some past clients to see what they may have to say about them.

Good luck in the future.

6. Petey's Landscaping

I was given their name by the people I buy all of my Belgard materials from. The first masons I hired never did show up so after waiting 2 weeks for that crew to show up the home owner was getting upset. I asked my suppliers if they would recommend someone and this is what I got. I will know better next time around. They are planning on working tomorrow to finish up, do you think they are going to be upset when their check is less that what they want?

7. ANC Stone Creations

Did not realize you had problems prior to this current contractor.

If I was you I would pound the pavement to find a real mason, most contractors I have met can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Besides all that it comes back to poor job management on your part.
    Don't wait till the last minute to try to find someone to sub work out to.
    GO LUCK AT SOME OF THERE WORK IN PERSON.

ALLWAYS have a backup plan, because remember in the end YOUR name is on the line.

8. ANC Stone Creations

Not trying to be rude or an ass.

This is a serious issue though.

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

If you are subbing them for the labor than why are you giving them a price for the job minus materials. All they need to know is how long they have to complete it and how much they will get paid. Any other information is not their business. Honestly though the pricing seems low for the labor.

10. Petey's Landscaping

You guys are right, I should have did my homework, but the home owner was getting upset because no one was there working. The worst thing is I cann't do my work until they get done with theirs. This is why I never use sub's. The avg. price for brick installed around here is somewhere between 650.00-700.00 per 1000. We try to do everything ourselves so we don't have to worry about anyone else.