how much for removing a yard's sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zmowingmaster, Dec 17, 2004.

1. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

hello all,
    yesturday a friend of mine asked me how much it would cost if he had to hire me remove the old dead grass from his front yard,put new top soil, an new sod. the yard is an average front house yard, it has only one tree in the middle.
    i never did such a job, i usually do mowing only.
    do i need to rent equipment, or is it better to buy one of those machines that cuts the sod, i've seen some people using it one time while driving, but never used it.
    i may be doing this job next spring,but still haven't decided yet since i have no idea on how much it might cost.i've been mowing grass for around four years by now, and i am looking to start doing some light landscaping related jobs in the spring time. a person has to start somewhere, so i think this may be my first challenge ( well to some pros this just an easy thing)
    thanks for the replys in advance guys

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume he just wants a renovation. Why rent a sod cutter if its dead already? Scalp the hell out of it. Put some topsoil down and seed it. Lot less work then trying to remove the dead stuff.

3. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

is he dead set on sod? Why not just take a soil sample, kill the grass, amend the soil, and slit seed it?

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

600.00- 800.00 plus topsoil and sod install would be billed by the yard.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree
    why remove the sod???
    the marerial will do nothing but add amendments to the soil.

6. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

i really don't know why he wants to do that from the first place, i think (only a thought) that probably the two new houses built next to his house have a very nice grass,or he got some cash that is so heavy on his wallet :) ,
    p.s. i don't mow his lawn, he does it by himself, so i don't know if he cut the grass on regular bases or not.

7. packerbacker

He's probably just looking for the instant results then. Gotta keep up with the Jones's heh?

8. YardPro

there is still no need to remove the old sod before installing the new sod, unless the added height will be an issue

9. packerbacker

It wouldnt take longer to root with the dead stuff underneath it?

10. YardPro

nope, not at all. the roots would grow into the dead grass matt quicker than into hard soil