1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much gas do you use to cut an acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GMAN, Sep 14, 2001.

1. GMAN

GMAN LawnSite Member
    from INDY

With the price of gasoline possibly rising I had a couple questions.

Just wondering how much gas you use to cut an acre with or without trees and what not?

I was mainly interested in ZTRs and the different sized engines.

For example, does 23hp kawi get better,same, lower gas mileage than an engine of similar hp made by, say, kohler?

Thanks for any input. By far, the most helpful site on the net!

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I have a 62" Toro with 25hp Kohler - use about 1.25 gal/hr average. Of course, conditions (mostly how heavy the grass is) would affect this. It would be interesting to hear if any of the mower manufacturers have done any side-by-side comparisons.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It depends on how thick the grass is, how much you are cutting off, what size the deck is, and how big the motor is.

This is a hard question to answer and you will get all sorts of answers to this question.

Some here have 42" to 48" decks with 26 hp EFI engines that have to be having an easy life since they don't have to pull nearly as hard as this same engine on a 72" deck and yes, it would pull a 72".

To try to answer you, my 60" deck powered by a 26 hp diesel uses 3 quarts an hour on average grass. I figure it uses 1 quart an acre on an average.

The same size deck with a 22 hp gas engine will use twice as much approximately.
  4. Well you have to take in account for truck, trimmers, and blowers.

All together you are probably looking at 1gal plus min. per a lawn no matter how big or small. The bigger the lawn the more gas. The farther the lawn the more gas.

5. Eric ELM

Just so I don't get more emails on this topic, I did a search on this before I posted. I might be wrong on the 42" deck with a 26 EFI, but it is mentioned in the below thread. Walker does put a 26 EFI on a 48" machine. Here is the link.

I get enough email, so I'm hoping this will prevent more. ;)
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running diesels for 13 years, and they burn about 1/2 the fuel that an equally rated gasoline engine burns, My question is "Why don't more manufacturers offer a diesel option?" I have a 1988 332 with 4500+ hrs on it, and it purrs like a kitten, uses no oil, is 16 HP (diesel) and I can't get 1/2 gal per hour thru it no matter how hard it is working.:)
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

My Toro Z-255 62" can suck some fuel when the turf is thick. I'd bet it will use almost 2 gallons per hour. Normal grass thickness and height perhaps 1 gallon per hour. B/W my Toro and Hustler I have spent about $1164.00 on fuel since March. Right now gas is $1.35 and a high of $1.68 earlier this year.
  8. My slow 62" gear drive mows athletic fields at about 2.5 acres an hour.

But at 5mph you only need to single cut.

The 18hp Command uses a little over a quart of fuel per acre.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see you back Stone.

I've never checked mine from an acre standpoint. I know about time. Without the mulching kit I can run 7 hours per tank (4.5 gal). With the mulching kit it runs about 5.5 hours per tank.
  10. Eric ELM

65 Hoss, if you are running at that rate, you could go 14 hours on 9 gallons. Running 12 hours on 9 gallons would be 3 quarts an hour, so you are burning less than that. What machine, motor and deck size is this on?