How much grass? Bagging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DiGiTLawncare, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DiGiTLawncare

DiGiTLawncare LawnSite Member

Say on average a 2 man crew is out mowing. On average mowing about 12-15 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots or less. ( All being bagged ) Say they are using a walker 9.5bushel hopper to mow. Exactly how much grass would you say you would collect throughout the day? How many times would you empty the hopper? What size trash bag would the grass empty into? 75gal. Would you need a bigger bag than that? (How many gallons is 9.5bushels when it comes to grass) Someone give me a roung about guesstimate. Thanks.

--Don

2. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

your going to have alot of grass i fill up a 4+4+5 container on my trailer almost to the top every day with my walker

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

you will have to empty the hopper at each yard. I can get two of the 45 gallon bags out of one hopper full. Now, summer time you can probably empty every 3 lots. Spring growth you may empty more than once each lot.

If you have contracts, use Primo Maxx. Its expensive, but you wont have as much top growth. If you use it and don't have a contract, you will end up being told not to cut every week using that stuff.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

It will depend on how long the grass is when you mow it. Most of my lawns are maybe a 1/4 acre and I've gotten about 48 bushels from just one lawn, but usually I will get about 12 bushels off a yard (thats one bagger full on my Bob-Cat). So you could either end up having to empty the trailer twice a day or just once at the end, it all depends on the length of the grass at the time of mowing.

5. DiGiTLawncare

Here are my thoughts. I am thinking of buying really good thick 90 gallon trash bags. I would empty the grass into the bags when needed and throw them in the back of the truck. (All equipment is in the trailer) Say during spring time I would get what 15 bags full? Summer maybe 9 or 10 bags? (Just considering grass) Mowing the accounts weekly

6. DiGiTLawncare

I just dont want to end up hauling 45 90gallon bags around in the back of my truck!! That would be a PITA.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever picked up a 90 gallon bag filled with succulent growth grass? Good luck.

8. DiGiTLawncare

It would be heavy but in my young age I believe I could get it taken care of. But as you notice I did not ask for criticism, only simple answers. Thanks for your thoughts though. :waving:

--Don

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Call it critical advice. :waving:

10. DiGiTLawncare

See the thing is I am a pretty smart kid. I have a brain that I use sometimes and I kinda figured that it could be something I would try and if it was to much of a hassel I can divide that by two and "wow" I could use two 45 gal bags like stated previously. (Maybe cut a step out is what I was sort of thinking) I mean why would I fill one up.... not be able to pick it up then go do another one? So how much does a 90gal bag with grass in it weigh since you guys seem to give such good critical advice? Facts are much stronger than opinions. Also I believe walker makes a bag that you can empty the 9.5 bushel hopper into in one shot. Now why would they make something you had to have a crane to pick up? They wouldn't. I want to how big a bag I could use to empty the hopper into and about how many bags a day I would get by looking at the above situations I gave. Maybe it would not fill a 90 gal bag... maybe it would. Thats what I am trying to figure out. Thanks Partner

--Don