how much? grasshopper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RoyalTree, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Ok so I know these kind of topics have been posted many times but I wanted to get some insight anyway from the people in the know.

I have a chance to buy several Grasshopper 227. They are all 2009 models and 52 inch with the 27 kohlers. All have between 1150 and 1250 hours.

What is a fair price for these units?

2. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

6500 would be a good price.....

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

No, that is way too much for machines with over 1000 hours on them, and only 52" decks. That is an awful lot of hours for a machine that has only seen one, or at the most, 2 mowing seasons
    Depending on how they have been cared for, the price could vary widely. I have seen machines just like that, that were trashed from hard use and abuse. They were worth only about $1200 - $1500. On the other hand, if they are really clean and well maintained, a price of $4500 - $5000 would be fair and reasonable.

4. RoyalTree

I ended up buying them all. They seem to have been cared for very well and look very nice and have no problems that we have found so far. I got 8 for 3000 each. They used them for about a year but went belly up when they lost their big city and federal contract.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That sounds like a heck of a deal. I don't see how you can go wrong with that pricing. Clean them up, check them out, and resell them at prices people can afford. you can clear a tidy little profit in no time.

6. RoyalTree

5 have allready been put to work for us. I have 3 sitting around as backups or maybee resale down the road.

7. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Sounds like you got a really good deal. If you are looking to sell those other machines I would check prices on ebay. Grasshopper's hold they value quite well if they are well maintained.