How Much Grease?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Got a new Walker 52" deck and I'm wondering how much grease do you squirt in the spindles? It says to grease every 25 hours but doesn't say how much. Can you put too much in? And what type of grease do you all suggest? Regular or a Synethic grease? Thanks for your advice.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It will depend on what grease gun you have. They are all different. Let us know which one you have, this will help.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I never could figure that out either. Thats why I went with eXmark. Sealed system that takes all the guess work out of it.
  4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just grease untill it starts to come back out. My newer Exmark w/b has the greaseless spindles. Much easier.
  5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be using a large pistol grip gun. I'm not sure of the size that fits in it. I think the grease tube is about 12-14" in length. Hope this helps you to answer my question.
  6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

On my Walker 52" , I grease every couple of days, and pump grease in until it comes out. I prefer to use the high temp lithium grease. Spindles don't get that hot, but figure it might be safer.

One thing I will point out though, remove the belt cover frequently and clean out under the pulleys. The trash will build-up under there pretty bad. You wouldn't think it would, but it does. And there is a grease fitting on the belt idler arm.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have always greased until it comes out also. If you don't do this on the spindle bearings, the top bearing won't get grease up to it and it gets dry and goes bad. This method seems to work good. I grease mine every 25 hours and it takes 23 pumps to fill it up a spindle with the new grease gun I now have. Each gun is different.
  8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

First you need to identify what you are greasing. If it is a bushing(no seals), grease it until you see grease. If it is a bearing you should only pump three to four shots of grease. Over greasing a bearing to where you see grease is not a good practice. Over greasing can cause the seals to be pushed out of place or totally out of the housing. Each machine and bearing is different, so it is up to the operator to determine what is best for him.
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you have an air compresser, I would suggest on purchasing an air powered grease gun. I own a Walker and correct me if I am wrong, but there are close to 40 grease inserts on your machine. This will reduce a lot of time. The one that I bought was only $30. I usually grease until I see (only a little) comes out.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

On my Cub, the front spindles and also the spindles for the blades, have grease relief holes, so overgreasing is not possible, just pump till it comes out the relief hole. for like a solid shaft going thru a pipe, grease till it comes out the ends. also wipe the zerks off with a wrag so its clean, not pumping dirt into whatever your greasing. see ya