1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much heat can you handle?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Triple R, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

When it gets really hot do you work as usual, cut corners, or just skip? Do you have a set temp where you call it a day if it goes above a certain temp?

I can handle the high 90's if the humidity stays low, sometimes even the low 100's don't really bother me but this week's temps just seem hot.
    This week it's been over 70* overnight and in the low 100's during the day with over 25% humidity. Today it went to 104* but luckly I finished by lunch time before the real heat started. Tommorow's accounts are full service but I plan on only doing the bare minimum (mow blow n go) to finish early. Since this heat wave started I've seen an increase in calls for service and have been bidding everything higher due to the heat. I prefer to work less during the summer heat especially since I live in an year round work climate, summer and winter = less work but same $ since everyone is on an year round service agreement. All I have to do is show up once a week, for example in the winter I sometimes show up blow the walkways and leave, and I still get paid my full rate.
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

LOL 25% humidity! Try 95-100 with 65-75% humidity. Now that's nasty
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I can take just about anything heat wise mother nature can throw at a Texas climate. It hits around 100 routinely during the July and August months and it normally doesnt bother me.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think the FL and TX guys need to chime in on this one for sure...
  5. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I'm here in Oklahoma and it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. I just slow down a little and drink plenty of water and Gatorade. The water is kept cool but not cold. The body can rehydrate it's self better with cool water and not cold. Take a rags and dip it cool water and place it on your neck you would be surprised how well it cools you down. Also ride with your truck windows down. The body will adjust to the breeze better than going from ac cold to hot.
  6. schumany

schumany LawnSite Member

You'll get used to it.

It's been hot here in Central Texas also. All I can say is drink lots of fluids (yes, I hate to say it, but Gatoraide works), wear a good sunscreen and wide brim hat, and take breaks in the shade.

Don't let the heat affect the service you provide. That's one of the reasons we're getting paid what we are. If it was easy, then anyone would do it.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I can usually take all the heat, humidity or pouring rain I am dealt. I whine like a little girl if it gets under 50 though.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have found that part of handling the heat, is to get out early every day, and as the heat builds, your body has a chance to get used to it. If for some reason, I don't get out till noon on a hot day, the heat really makes me sick, as I have not had the morning to get used to it.
    When it gets in the upper 90's to 100's, we try to start by 6:00AM, and knock off by 2:00PM. My guys do not want to stop for lunch, they just work straight through to get finished. We have started as early as 4:00AM to beat the heat. When I worked solo, I had a big commercial property that I would start on about 8:00PM. I would mow till about midnight, go home and sleep a while, then go back at daylight and do the trimming and edging. That kept me out of the worst of the heat.
    I really hate summer in Texas.
  9. High Humidity

High Humidity LawnSite Member

Having a ZTR helps alot. I would not want to walk and then trim, edge etc. Living in Florida you learn a few tricks, especially if you play sports. In the summer, when the heat and humidity are brutal, make sure to drink at least a quart of water every evening (not all at once). Follow this by juice in the mornings with breakfast and maybe back off the coffee and soda's, the caffeine dehydrates you. Believe me this hydrates you and increases endurance for work and sports.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

GreenFrog is right about the central valley of California.

The San Joaquin Valley used to have a lot less than 25% humidity until about 25 or 30 years ago. It was so dry that any shade felt very cool due to the rapid drying of perspiration. In the 1950's I lived in Kerman, about 15 miles west of Fresno, and only had to go about 5 miles to the West to shoot jack rabbits and ground squirrels. Much of the valley was desert but now is mostly farmed and the higher humidity at temps >100 degrees will really put a hurting on you. You really don't get wet with sweat, your body just dehydrates at an unbelievable rate in that heat and it is really hard to consume enough liquid to keep going.