1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much HP for 6ft Harley/Landpride Power Rake

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Airwave, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Can you please tell me how much HP I will need to run a 6ft Power Rake. I have ltd budget but still want to make sure I have something suitable to run the rake. Thanks.
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a guess, but I would say 40 HP minimum. You might want to google harley rake and see if glenmac has a site with brochures that would have the specifications.
  3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

The website says 30-40 HP which I think is a very broad range. 35-40 HP is more what I would think.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a land pride rake and the book says 30 hp at the pto and the unit weighs about 1000 lbs for the 6 ft i run it at half thortle most times so 25 hp at the pto may be ok
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a Kubota 3130 (31hp gross) and it runs a 6 ft rake just fine. Though I'm sure a few more ponies wouldn't hurt.
  6. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I've run a few of them and would say you don't want less than 35 hp. not just for hp but for weight and stability. 40-48 is the perfect size landscape tractor for just about any job.
  7. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Thanks all for your responses you just confirmed my thoughts in that more HP is better. I just got a call from a fellow landscape gardener who bought a Harley rake last month and he was telling me that he was not too impressed with it. Not saying it doesnt work it does but he used a blec 1.8m stonerake which he said does as good a job if not better. This is a concern to me which I am glad that someone in the area in Ireland has had knowledge of both. We do have a lot of stone to take of sites here and does not look the same over in US (although I am not generalising as US is a big country) Just looking at the vids from Harley and they do not seem to have a lot of stone at all. I thought I had my mind made up with posts on here and reading that I was set on a Harley/Landpride now I am just not to sure think I may start with a Blec rake as I already have the walk behind model which works great maybe over time I will see more benefit in the Harley.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well i could spin u around and put u in a field here and u would think your in Ireland just as many stone walls lol
  9. Airwave

Airwave LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

No but seriously I do no think our conditions are quite a bit different and that the blec would be better at getting stone out of the ground. and yes plenty of stone walls here although mainly hedging nowadays.
  10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The old standard rule is 5 pto hp, for each foot of implement.