How much if any are you still owed for 2004?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 30, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

With only one day left in the year, I'm wondering how much is still owed to you. Very surprisingly, we still have a small sum of money out there. We won't lose sleep about it, but we will get it. Normally we don't have problems getting our money, but circumstances arose, and it seems like we are still owed $344.50. Not a large amount, but enough to pay a heating bill with.
    One customer had a stroke, and we are waiting on a relative to pay, one lady went into a personal care home unable to care for herself so we are once again waiting on a relative, and the last lady just befuddles me. She never paid late before, so I'm not sure why she isn't paying this time.
    How much do you guys still need to collect?

2. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

I still have 95.00 outstanding but still mowing a few yards here. And 500.00 on one commercial account for month of December. Usually collect on the 15th of the following month.

3. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

What's the size of your company and what is your secret to collections. I'm owed 1000's most of which i will never collect.

4. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Over $10,000

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

About 4500.00 but that will be in around 1/10/05.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

There is no secret. We deal with a lot of elderly folks, close to 100 accounts, and although there are downfalls to having a large amount of elderly customers, one thing though, they are for the most part fast payers.
    No, we are not a large company at all. We have close to 100 accounts, but by industry standards and in the scheme of things, we are not a large company. However, I let no one slide, when a problem arises, I am on the phone or at their door. Matt lets me handle getting the money, he says I play a better "bad guy" than him. Unfortunately, sometimes it does take hounding someone to get paid, but I will do it when necessary. We also are at the point in our business that if a customer doesn't pay on time for a few consecutive months, we get rid of them. The longer you keep a problem late payer around, the harder it is to get your money each month.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

$2500 here.

8. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Right now I have about $4350 out but it isnt technically late until 1-5-04. With christmas and new year holidays people are generally slow to pay in December and January

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

6k...Final Invoices In Early Dec. Suck...I can't Start Hounding them Until Jan 3rd !

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

$3,021.15 is over 30days past due. My goal is to collect $2,000 of that. I sent out the letters today suggesting that they contact their attorney concerning the legal liability of the referenced debt.

Then I told them If any such legal action is taken and results in Judgment against them, a Writ of Execution may be issued against their attachable assets. Any legal action taken may result in additional expenses, including service of process and other court costs; thereby increasing their debt and overall financial obligation.