How much income should a two man employee only crew bring in in a day mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jasonnau, Jun 5, 2010.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Together, they are generating roughly $38 per hour. I'm giving a little bit of a rough estimate here. Give me a little time and I'll give exact details

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure I am following you then. you said you gross 650-700 in an eight hour day. thats like 80-90 per hour divided by two is 40-45 dollars per man hour.

3. jasonnau

Alright, here's the exact break down for this past week. This is personal stuff here!
    Tuesday: 9.25 hours, gross income for mowing: $719
    Wednesday: 9.5 hrs, gross income for mowing: $637
    Thursday: 5.5 hrs (didn't start until noon rain delay): gross income from mowing: $441
    Friday: 7.25 hrs, gross income from mowing: $607

Total gross income from mowing: $2404
    Total hours: 31.5 X two employees @ $21 per hour together
    Gas equals out to about $5 per hour
    Workers comp, ss, unemployement: somewhere around 15% additional per hour

4. jasonnau

Quick note, we worked hours on other landscape jobs in addition, but I'm not trying to figure that income out. I'm just trying to figure out there mowing income.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on your overhead and what works for you. You might be netting $19 per hour per guy but as far as your gross income it really depends on your overhead and how much you want to make. I think what you are grossing is gonna be in the ballpark with most companies.

6. jasonnau

That's 19 each.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jasonnau

That's what I was hoping. There time will decrease. As summer comes
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jasonnau

23.60 per hour per man is what I calculated for this last week. My original calculation was for two weeks ago. This is after the extra 15% and 5$ per hour on fuel. So anyway does this fall in line with what I should expect?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I was also a bit confused at first when you were talking about gross income and then were deducting their salaries and stuff. But overall I would say yes, that is a great start. I have around 45 properties with one helper this year and plan to gain about 15 more this season. Based on average income per day and all, I would expect I would be Very close to those numbers if I had two workers mowing. Best of luck this year and keep us posted. =)

10. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

There are so many factors that go into making money there is no way to say how much a two-man crew should be making. Large commercial jobs, for example, generally will make more money quicker than smaller residential yards, especially if the yards are spaced out.

If your guys are doing the work you are asking them to do in a timely manner then that's all you can expect. Just get as many accounts as you can, price them well, find good workers, and the money will follow. No need to worry how much they're making per hour. that's really a pointless stat that will invariably change hourly/daily depending on what's going on.