How much income should a two man employee only crew bring in in a day mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jasonnau, Jun 5, 2010.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Guys according to topsites your numbers are impossible. I guess its hard when you sit at home and post on lawnsite all day to make that much but if you actually go out and work these numbers seem pretty normal.
  2. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i'll believe that when me **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet :laugh:
  3. nepatsfan

LOL then you guys are not charging enough. We do 16-20 lawns per day with 2 guys. We have a $40 minimum per cut. Average lawn about $45 Believe what you wish....I am not even on the high end in my area. Why is $750-$850 hard to believe. Sure some days we may have a bad day and only make 680-690 but for the most part $750-$850 is normal.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I believe ya buddy.:waving:

Totally reasonable as well.

The guys that can't cut 17 average lawns with a few larger ones with two guys in a regular day, are because the accounts are way to spaced out, bad operators, going to damn slow, not routing correctly, using the wrong or underpowered equipment, or walking behind them.:cry:
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

As a solo operator, I am generating about $30.00-$35.00 an hour in gross revenue if you include drive time. With a 2-man crew, $60.00 an hour should be your minimum gross payout. If you're not making this much, either persuade your crew to perform better or tighten your route density. The only other reason would be that you are charging your clients too little in the first place.
  6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

This is pretty realistic, regardless of what some will say. People in some parts of the country don't believe that we can charge what we charge in the Northeast.

We do mostly mow/blow/go. This time of year, we average 13 cuts per day, at an average price of $51, two men in an 8 hr day. Lawns are large around here, we have 2 acre zoning. Anyway, that is an avg $663 per day in revenue. In August and September it gets faster, we get 16 cut in an 8 hour day ($816). Of course, it all goes to hell when something breaks.

We use two 52" Exmark Lazer HPs, two trimmers, two BP blowers, on an open trailer. We rarely bag clippings. All my customers are in 2 towns, so no long rides. It took me 6 years to get it to this point.
  7. nepatsfan

Are things that bad in other parts of the country that people would think I was lying about making $750-$850 a day. I am always trying to think about how I can tighten up the route and make more.:dizzy:I am definitely not on the high end in my area but I am not on the low end either. I am probably somewhere right in the middle. I was thinking the other day about raising everyone 5 dollars next year to generate more money. I figure even if I lost a few we would be more profitable. Was also considering going to 3 man crews to be more productive. I am thinking how I can make more and some guys on here think its absolutely absurd to make @ $800 a day with two guys. Stay will never make it.:waving:
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'm happy grossing $350 to $400 per day solo mowing. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. I'm not known for early starts. The funny thing is that I do better on my lower end accounts than the high end ones, even though I try to charge accordingly. It's the trimming time that kills me and I hate to cut corners on it...I think a good trim job makes all the difference in how a lawn looks. But the high end lawns are where most of the "extras" come from, so it's all good :)
  9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

what size of lawn are we talking my area i can do 20-25 yards a day myself. add another guy i have done 40 yards and 2 3acre props. but our lawn are small here. mow/blow/go ave time is 10- 12 mins. we have done some with 2 guys at 5 mins.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I do 6 to 9 or 10 lawns a day. Average size, lol. Average cut this year is $54 and most lots are 1/2 acre and up. I have some that the trim/blow alone is 45 mins. 20 or 25 mins is about the fastest I can get any of mine done working solo, 30 minutes if I have a helper, lol.