How much income should a two man employee only crew bring in in a day mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jasonnau, Jun 5, 2010.

1. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Owatonna, MN market will bear $30 rates for "mow and go" service on lots small enough
    to service (25) alone ?

I've been doing postage stamp to 1/4 acre lots in south Minneapolis for 3 plus years.
    Nasty banks and hills on 50% of them.
    2 minutes max between stops
    Cut, trim, edge, and blow (every week) No mow and go.

(18) a day solo
    (26-30) day 2-man

Found the 2-man to be the way to go.
    $750-$850 gross daily...(9) hr day's.
    Get my (60) done in 2 day's...2nd guy allows you to keep up a pretty intense pace and not kill yourself, and keeps the other guy efficient and cost effective.

2. rjh4758

rjh4758 LawnSite Member

Seems like most everyone looked right past they fact that you deducted some expenses off the hourly number you posted earlier. So I broke it down a bit more for you. I may have missed some other expenses like advertising, administrative costs, website, phone, ect. as I do not know all the expenses that you have.

OK I will make the assumption that you are running one ZTR and maybe a 21 and handhelds.

$2404-15%=$2043.40 Workers comp, ss, unemployement

73 man hours X $10.50=$766.50

$2043.40-$766.5=$1276.90

31.5 hrs equipment use(replacement cost and maint.)$6.00hr=$189

$1276.90-$189=$1087.90

$800 liability Ins. + $500 auto ins + $4800 annual truck payment/28 weeks = $217.85

$1087.90-$217.85=$870.05

31.5 hrs of fuel at $5.00=$157.50

$870.05-$157.50=$712.55 net income

They are putting $9.76 per man hour in your pocket. Could be better but if you are putting out $1200 of work yourself you should be able to get by OK. But look for ways to get more efficient or get more business and look at adding a crew as you can make a higher income that way as well.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  3. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Ten thousand mowers will be purchased tomorrow based solely on this thread alone. Its all good.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Your numbers are pretty much right on in my case, too. But I can usually bill a for a few extras here and there that bump up the bottom line.

5. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

this question as others have said is dumb. what size mowers you run? ztr or walk behinds? way to many factors left out. if your using 21 inch push mowers than its great money, if your running 2 60 inch ztr's and have route planed good than thats not good.
    its perty simple, for 1 week you eork with 1 guy and see how long you guys do it all, than next week work with the other guy and see how long, while you do this send them out to do the stuff you do. now, if your working about the same as the guys are than live with it, if you get done like 6 hours less with both of them then fire one or both or have a talk with them.
    :confused:

6. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

$650 per day for a 2 man crew is very common. This is about what we average. Its also what the industry for a whole averages. 8hr day at $40/hr = $320 per man x 2men = $640.

That 40/per man hr includes all time at the jobsite, bathroom, windshield time, load/unload, trash pickup. It is a whole day average, not a "wow I mowed that sucker in 12 minutes, I must have avg a $100/hr."

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

haha...lmao...that is awesome and true

8. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

That's probably pretty darn close. I've never broken down the hidden expenses such as insurance, and truck cost. Always been afraid to. My whole reason for posting this thread is that forever it's been just me and a 10
    $ guy. The bottomline is always acceptable. Yes, I'm better than both of them by a long shot, but I can't do everything all the time without working 70 hrs a week. I've got three kids and a wife that is about half way to divorcing me every spring because I'm gone so much. So, this is the first year sending a crew out that didn't involve me being the main part of it. I really had no idea what to expect, and didn't like the idea of having so much overhead in labor. I have gotten on them about being efficient as well as fast, but, my lead guy is new to all of this but a quick learner who takes pride in what he does. My string trimmer came from another company who would just hit it and get it without paying so much attention to detail. It's been a battle to get the lead guy to stop spending too much time on detail and trying to get the trimmer guy to spend more attention to detail. Summer is finally here and their time and skills have been improving. It is slightly depressing to see the $10 per hr per employee number, but I'm doing at least $1200 if not 1/3 more than that by myself. Things will slow down in the next month or so, and I'll probably have the trimmer guy drop down to 3 days a week and i'll pick up for the other 2. Just depends on the work load. But, thank you for breaking down everything. Looking at your estimates, they are probably making closer to $11 per hr per employee. My liability is a little cheaper and they are driving a nice looking 01 f250 that I picked up this year for $6500 to run the mowing route. And they take a 60 lazer, a 60 turf tracer, a 36 turf tracer, and a 21 with them. Usually only one guy is mowing unless the back yard is too small to get the 60 in. So I'm glad to here they are in the ballpark, as depressing as the low numbers are.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  9. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

In all honesty, I've never broken everything down to figure it out exactly because I've been too busy working!!!!

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what pay rates are by you but I pay my 16 year old son $10/hr for trim and blow and help on mulch jobs. I don't see how you can even get someone to work at that rate. Not sure what the norm is in your area though.