How much insurance do I need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by runmyta, Apr 9, 2006.

1. runmyta

runmyta LawnSite Member

I am just starting in this business and will only be my brother and myself mowing a few yards a week for a little extra income. What type of insurance do i need. Not concerend with equipment just liabilty if something gets damaged on someones property or my mower picks up a rock and hits someones car or a a person. Thanks!:usflag: :usflag:
  2. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

AT least 500,000 general liability. Many commerical require 1 million. You should be fine with the 500,000.
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

our county requires 300k but i got 1 million liabilty for cheap... no company really would have gave 300k because its to little if u blow a house up or hurt someone they will be suing for more than 300k

but honestly if you break a window o somethign small u should pay out of pocket if you have the cash. a storm door window costs a $100 to get fixed here which is a lot better than getting ur insurance costs higher
  4. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say at least 500K, Theres not much difference b/w 300/500/1 mil as far as how much you pay for it. Ive got 600k which was only 100 more a year than 300k.
  5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Just shop around. Last year I paid 424 per year for 300,000, this year I have 1 mill and paid 371. So if you look you should be able to find that 500k to 1 mil will not be much more than 300k.
  6. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

What about your truck, Equiptment, and trailer? Just leave it on your personal? Insure it under the business? If you are driving down the road, with your advertising on your truck and trailer, would it be better to have a sepirate polocy or same? I have checked it out, and the price per year is not much different for me in VA.

Any expierences or ideas?