1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much is enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like after all expenses this year i am going to clear 2/3 of my income. Is this a good number or should i try to increase prices a little? just wondering how much should someone expect to make?
  2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

My business may be set up different than others, but my yearly expenses = roughly 30% also.
  3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Wish mine did. lol
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My total overhead (depreciation - ins. - maintainance - everything) was at the 30% level last year. We are expanding this year a bit, so I am expecting 25% overhead next year (A lot of the overhead stays constant ie. insurance and depreciation)
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

It is probably my misunderstanding. If you are saying your profit margin is 2/3 of gross revenue, that's not a bad number.
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, answers can vary wildly on this question. If you are a Solo Op. and only do lawn care, then you're take is going to be a lot higher than someone who has 15 employees and does all phases of landscaping, hardscaping, snow plowing, etc.

I'd say 2/3 sounds pretty high. If you can keep that much, that's great!

Anyway, for what it's worth, our total revenues are right at $1mil this year and I'll keep about 1/10 of that before my personal tax write-offs. If there was a way I could keep 2/3 of that money, I'd be writing this from my private beachfront mansion in the Bahamas right now.

It's not really the percentage that you get to keep that matters too much, anyway. To me, the total dollar figure that you get to keep is more important than what percentage it is. I'd rather keep 5% or 10% of a company that did $2mil in revenues than keep 65% of a company that did $85,000 in revenues.