1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much is it worth to keep cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderhead, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead LawnSite Senior Member

I know that all you professionals get these type of questions all the time, but I have to ask, otherwise I wouldn't know. So here it goes:

How much is it worth to cut the grass for a church thats on 6 acres of wide open land? Have to weedeat, OR spray (my choice) around the gym and church. The gym is about the size of a school's basketball gym and the gym is bigger than the church! No graveyard or flowerbeds to mow. The church is only about 1/4 mile from my house!! I don't wanna under bid but I DEFINATELY don't wanna over bid either. It would be Very simple for me to maintain this property. I'd be cutting it with my brand new Hustler Super Z 31hp Kawasaki/ 60" cut. They want it cut AT LEAST 2 times a month, possibly 3. So, what do ya'll think it's worth and what should I tell them (my bid)? I do not wanna lose this because it would be easy money this close to the house.

If I get it, this would be the first job I would have starting my grass business. If it makes a difference, my truck, mower, blower, and weed eater are all paid for.

Thanks So Kindly,

2. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Well I havent yet done any properties this size yet but I have read when cutting acerage you price the first acre at $45 and go down each additional acre depending on how many. The bottom line is how long is it gonna take you to do it. I would say it will take you around 3 hrs. I think maybe around $130. I would rather undercharge a little and get the job then overcharge and not get it. Espeacially since you dont have any work lined up yet. Did they ask if you have insurance?
  3. Around $75.00
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I won't give a quote without physically looking at the work,
    but basically it has to do with the amount and complexity of the labor
    plus the cost of the machinery and a few other things.
  5. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

That us way too low. It will probably take you 3 hrs. I would charge about 180.00, but since your just starting out I'd go for 130-150.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LouisianaLawnboy

Me either, but I can give an estimate.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA...... Nice. You need to move to west TN. I'll sub some accounts to you if you do good work.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So if I tell someone a price without looking at the work and later it turns out to be way more, you think raising the price
    while explaining the subtle differences between estimates and quotes is going to mean something to the customer?

It's all the same in my book, once a price has been mentioned it's out,
    show up and find out the grass is 4 feet tall you got yourself a problem.
    Oh, well, it's going to be a "little" bit more... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Yeah right, except $100 ain't going to fly after no mention of $30-35!

So I don't give estimates without looking at the work either.
    Why, it's free, doesn't cost them anything, so what's the problem?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  9. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Thunderhead, figure how much you WANT to make per hour. Think "future" when you come up with this rate. If you can find a good rate that gives you a little wiggle room it can keep you from having to go up every year. The amount for this property depends on difficulty and it sounds like it's not very difficult. We have a 10 acre property that sounds almost identical to this one. It takes 3 guys 2.5 hours and is $305 per cut. That's running a 61" mower and a 52" mower.

On another note we also have a property that is around 6 acres of cutting that takes the same amount of time and is the same rate. (more trimming/edging)
  10. LouisianaLawnboy

If the customer wants a price right now I explain that its an estimate and then usually give a range.
    Posted via Mobile Device