How much is rider weight a factor?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by C&K, Jan 9, 2007.

1. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I'm 6'3, 250 lbs. and don't know if a wb with a velke will work properly with BIG people on them. My partner probably weighs close to 300. Is there anyone this size that can give some advice on what equipment is best, should we get the most hp available or does it effect it that much?
    Other than the weight recomendations on the velke's. I know most are max. recommended 250lbs.:walking: Then again, maybee I should/need to walk. lol

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Not many large landscapers.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

BUT ... there are many healthy sized lawn care professionals! I would suggest either walking, or using a Z.

:weightlifter:

4. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Lol. This is one of the reasons I'm getting back into lawncare :weightlifter:
    Back in the day using a wb = being fit and trim. After moving into full-time teaching I QUICKLY put on the weight :dizzy: Starting off on my own this Spring as part-time/full time during summer; I'm using the 48" wb and letting my old man run the 60" ZTR.

I say enjoy the workout knowing you're making $ to get back in shape! Sure beats paying a gym membership!

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

we have two 17HP 48" WB hydro's that have been pulling me for years. I'm 230#'s. Only issue is going directly up steep hills. I just walk up them if the Z can't get to it.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I think only hills would be an issue. I'm only 175 and I still have to hop off to keep the front of the mower down. It's not really an issue on flat ground, but if I am mowing full speed, hitting bumps will cause the front end to "float" some. I'm thinking about adding a couple of weights to the front to eliminate that.

7. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
    My helper is 350 and rides a single wheel velke behind an 15 HP Exmark Turf Tracer HP with a single weight in the front (cant remember the weight but it came from the people that make the Hooker Aerator)....I do run a soild velke wheel and when new he has chunked a coulpe lugs off the tires....other than than that no problems BUT I tell him to be VERY careful not to rut a soft yard with the velke wheel. He has been with me for 3 years. I didn't buy a dual wheel unit because I already have all my mowers with singles that work.
    Hope this helps.
    Andrew

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It apparently depends on the TYPE of sulkey. I was going to buy a Lesco 48" hydro with one of their Fixed type sulkey on it. I weigh about 225 and I couldn't keep the front on the ground on flat pavement! Obviuosly why you don't see many of those in use? I was very dissapointed with it and didn't buy it, although I wish I had and just worked it over good, I'm betting it would have worked with a different velke.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Not trying to be mean but do yourself a BIG favor. Buy a walk behind and walk behind it!! You will be much happier about how you feel and your appearance. This is a labor intensive business! I see all the time people who spend good money going to health clubs to work out and lose weight, maybe I should go in there and offer free work for anyone who wants to lose a few pounds. It wouldn't cost them a thing. Again I'm not trying to be mean and I hope things work out for you. If your serious about this then do yourself a favor and start walking and doing lite workouts now to prepare yourself. This is very hard and hot work I know you mentioned a ztr or tractor for yourself but I think you should go with a walk behind and do just that walk behind it.

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it everyone on this site claims to be 6"5" 300lbs? Is this Lawnsite or the NFL?:nono: