how much is this worth?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Jan 1, 2006.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

1997 toro proline 52" belt drive w/b with t-bar handle, 4 speed kohler 18hp, mulch kit and velke. it has about 1000 hours on it. it is available locally for $1300 asking. someone suggested that was a crazy high price.... so what would it really be worth. i am new to this and trying to avoid wasting what little startup money i have. thanks for any input.

2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I would say around $700 maybe.

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 1992 52" toro hydro w/b with a 18hp Kol last year for $800. With a velke also. Had about 800 hours on it. Been a great mower. The guy who services my equipment and a dealer said I got it at a still. Should have been 1200-1500. Or so they say.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The velke is worth around 150, mower around 800. Are the drive belts new or old? Bad thing about prolines is they like new belts.

5. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

belts are brand new. how much are replacements?

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

$35 - 50 each

I would say including sulky no more than $1000 and more likely $700-800.

1000 hours is either about 60% done on the motor or damn near a dead motor depending on conditions and maintenance.

I would at least get a compression check done on the engine and check for spindle play and binding. Obviously change oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs when you get it. Grease everything that can be greased (including the gear box / tranny). Another important thing to check is the tranny including the bearing on the output shaft. If that goes, you are without motivation and in many mowers the entire tranny housing has to be replaced to fix that. I know. Been there.

Good luck.

Also how mangled is the sulky?

7. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

sounds a bit high...you mentioned you were trying to avoid wasting the startup money you have. do you need a 52" deck? if you dont, check out the Quick 36. they're a quality machine and not too hard on the wallet either...

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

A couple years ago it listed at 3799 new for a belt drive 44, but it is a floating deck with easy cut height adjustment, somewhat comparable to an Exmark 48 Metro HP with ECS controls.

If pistols are hard on your hands the t-bar (and Exmark ECS) is really nice. The Proline has real reverse. You don't have to bear wrestle the machine to make it go backwards. But it could conceivably run you over if you fell.

You need a good Toro dealer nearby for parts support or can get some parts online at J Thomas, Mow More, etc.

If all wheel bearings, spindle bearings, caster bushings at tight and free, good rubber, good belts, good compression, starts and runs good in all gears, shifts good, and looks fairly good, $1300 is still high.

If the chute or belt cover is missing that would drive the price down.