how much is this worth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcmower, Jul 7, 2006.

1. bcmower

bcmower LawnSite Member

im in the process of buying out my boss for the maintence side of the business. This year we will do $149,000 in grass cutting. We use 5 guys to get everthing done all working around 50 hours a week. i will also be buying the mowers and the trucks.
    we have a : 2000 F-350
    2001 F-250
    2006 scag wild cat with bagger
    2002 exmark turf tracer
    2005 scag w/b
    3 lawn boys
    3 still trimmers
    1 back pack blower

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a good place to start. You've got 5 guys working 50 hours per week or 250 man-hours per week. If your average wage is $10/hour that's $2,500 per week not including payroll taxes, workers comp, etc. You better take a sharp pencil to this one.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking the same thing. I do that SOLO!

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would say your making almost as much as your boss is right now without all the headaches.

5. bcmower

bcmower LawnSite Member

yeah i figured that all out my boss makes $7,000 a month profit that he puts in his pocket after taxs, gas, and workers comp and if you think you can cut what i do by your self please come show me what your secret is. I am not some fly by night company i have been doing this for 11 years started with 8 yards and now have 103 and growing every week

6. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

It takes 5 guys to do 103 accounts a week? Is each account a few acres or are you doing apt. complex's or something?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Either your pricing is low or the employees don't move very fast for $149,000 annual revenue.

8. Mowerboy88

Mowerboy88 LawnSite Member

just a sugesstion....... i have a crew of 16 guys for every 25 accounts i add a new guy this works out to be good. one day I went out by my self and did 25 in one day with a 32" lesco to see what one man could do. You have to sit down and think to your self if i make X amount can i still be making X? when you start to get big it really is a 3's game but hey, 5 guys will do and best of luck to you buying your company.

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Did boss SHOW YOU A "P & L" for this year to date & last year...proving the $7k in his pocket a month?????? If not, GET ONE! It will tell you what his EXPENSES are and if he is SKIPPING any...like TAXES, insurance, etc.

On info YOU PROVIDED:

$149,000 GROSS
    30 week season (est.)
    = $5,000 Gross per week.

5 employees working 50 hrs/wk (assume $10 per hour)

$10 x 40 = 400 x 5 = 2000
    $15 x 10 = 150 x 5 = 750
    TOTAL PAYROLL per week = $2750

Payroll taxes = $275 / wk

GASOLINE? = $300 / wk

INSURANCE ?
    Warehouse rent?
    REpairs
    vehicle maintenance

$5000 - 2750 - 275 - 300 = 1675 - OTHER EXPENSES???

$1675 x 4 = 6700 / month without NUMEROUS OTHER LEGITIMATE BUSINESS EXPENSES.

GET P & L and find out what he is REALLY MAKING (for this year & last year). If he doesn't have a P&L to give you (quickbooks can do it in 5 seconds) then RUN AWAY!!!

Mike

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

:) Fly by night