1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much is to much to catch up on???(solo lco's)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Jan 13, 2008.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Meaning if you m/t/e/b (mow/trim/edge/blow) schedule is say monday through friday and it rains from Weds to friday......So now your 3 days behind and you can make those three days up on sat,sun and monday. But now your schedule for this weak is all going to be one day behind and your not really caught up until saturday....What if it rains during this weak...say a day or two??
    Some of you will say mow in the rain some of you will say this and that but I want to hear all replys/responses....
    Currently I take three and half days two do all my m.t.e.b customers but I can do it in three days(when I don't hang out in the mower shops too long or am up all night on l.s.) I'm going to be adding a full day of m.t.e.b to my schedule...So thats four days of m.t.e.b and leaves me with 3 days for other services...and catch up on rain days.
    I'm asking this because I've fell behind a few times and taken a month to catch up only having a three day m.t.e.b schedule.
  2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Wake up a bit earlier and stop a bit later. You always find a way.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

This is a situation I was all too fimiliar with last season... We had record rainfall last spring/summer and I was perpetually behind.

Yeah, there's always a way to get caught back up. It's never fun, I know that for sure, but working 12 hours a day with no lunch break. Going as fast as I can move all day, and driving way over the speed limit between lawns. Stressing out to the point of being physically ill. Thinking I'm going to be caught up only to get raind on again, or show up to a property 2 days after a 6 inch rain and find that it's still to wet to get onto. Needing help desperately, but my selection of help is either in school and has their own work to do or has zero experience running any lawn equipment.

I'm hoping and praying that this upcoming season isn't like last years. I've been mowing for 10+ years, and it was the worst I've ever encountered.
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

schedule 7 hours of work 3 of those days. If it rains 2 days in a row work 11 hours a day for a few days and you will be surprised how much you get done. Pact a lunch and 2 snacks eat between jobs, shut the cell phone off or leave it in the truck between jobs.

It can be done allthough it sucks it can be done.
  5. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it sucks to be behind but you could of been in a drought and have no income. We went through a nice drought.
  6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

All of my weekly accounts are on wednesday thursday friday. If it rains all those days, then i will just show up the next week. If it rains all those days, the ground is just too soggy to work on. You'll do more damage than good. I havn't skipped any lawns this past season.
  7. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Or just keep mowing in the rain if there is no lightening.2 yrs ago we had record rainfall. If there was'nt standing water in the yard we mowed. Maybe not with the riders , but with push and walk behinds.And that is another reason we run backpack blowers. It will blow off wet pavement just fine.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been in this situation, the first time (or three) it feels right hairy but one thing that helps is you get to learn how to manage soggy turf, one of the main reasons I use a fixed deck 48" because they're about 200 pounds lighter than the floaters, and gear drives for the same reason (other than the fact a T-bar is gear driven). So then I go from there, with that comes practice, eventually it's all so much in a day's work.

Also it helps to know peak and record production rates, this I learned the first few times I got my tail busted.
    Peak production in my book is how many yards / day can be taken care of, sustained, indefinitely. Record is obviously most anything over peak, record refers to a rate of production that is above maximum but that has not (or can not) be reasonably sustained day after day, week after week, etc...

So when it comes around I simply increase production to peak and let it go at that, there's nothing else to be done here.
    I'm doing all I can, I know this is as good as it gets, hey some business might get lost, that's par for the course so long I'm super busy that is absolutely normal and I don't worry about it.

Then it's not really that big of a deal, I do what I can, a few to more than a few will get tall, it blows to have to deal with it but at the same rate it doesn't get but so far backed up, best way to deal with it is one lawn, and one day at a time, HOLD that phone lol.

As for newcomers let them know upfront, I'm this far backed up or just as well tell them I'm sorry but my schedule is full.

...Now if my schedule is full then my prices aren't high enough, I pride myself on always having that room, I charge a high price but those who call can count on someone in this town, but that's just my attitude, always charge high enough to where you have the room, then it's never a problem (well, almost).

Push comes to shove I look at it this way: Regular grass customers come first, always.
    Yes, everything else can and will get put on hold.
  9. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming
  10. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mix of commercial, residential, municipal. If it rains, the parks still get mowed. We mow 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. We will work long days a couple of days after a rain out, and Saturday if necessary to get caught up.

Unless you mow year round, skipping a cut means you are losing money. Here, we cut 25-27 times a year. if I skip everyone once, I am out a ton of money.