How much is to much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

At what point do you all stop putting money into your truck and just go out and buy a new one? I weigh the options and now i would just pay for the repair which is cheaper than a new one, but the repairs are coming more frequently now. :waving:

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I knew it was time to buy a truck when I purchased it for $1300 and had about $2200 in repairs done. Sold it for $1000. Also had another that was purchased for $1500, had $1500 in repairs done in a months time. I got $500 for it.

My dad works for dodge and I can get u a great deal on a NEW one. I will have to check with him. :) :waving:

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

That decision is always a tough one....when I get into that situation I go to my favorite mechanic and have him do a real thorough analysis of the overall condition of every component of the truck...I mean EVERYTHING.

To that I factor I guesstimate the cost to maintain for the next year or 2 based on what he tells me. Then I look at the incentives/financing for buying a new one.(I am not a fan of buying used trucks unless I know who owned it before)

As far as knowing when to stop thowing money into it, perhaps you can think of it like:
    - if you think you eat too much...you proabley do
    - if you think you drink too much, you probably do
    - and if you think you are putting too much money into a vehicle that is on borrowed time, you probably are

4. I read some where, that as long as the monthly repair bills are less than monthly vechile payment, keep on fixing it! I believe their is some truth to that, I HATE being car poor!!!!! BUT YOUR VECHILE MUST BE DEPENDABLE, CAN YOU TAKE IT ANYWHERE, IN OTHER WORDS, WOULD YOU HOP IN RIGHT NOW, AND TAKE AN EMERGENCY TRIP OF 1000 MILES! I think if you can do that, and maintence cost are less then a new car payment, keep on fixing it!

I use an old mini van and trailer for fert andpest applications, and for my 8 mowing ( total landscape maintence) client, and have old (85) 1 ton crew cab truck / 5 ton trailer for new lawn installs, renovations- overseeding. All have been paid for for a long time. Will soon be replacing mimi van, with my wife old one, she's getting a new one soon!

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yep...being car-poor does suk...I keep them for at least 10 years when I buy them new...so long as the body integrity is good...when it starts to need body putty thats when I say bye bye...I wont ride around in something that looks like it belongs to Sanford & Son... :cool:

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

This is a question best answered by your accountant.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

what is it ? ill buy it

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I admit I have been in almost the same shoes lately, but I think i've come to a decision.

A few things I really want to get in the next year or two WERE:
    New(er) truck
    Utility tractor and a few attachments
    House and a little property with a nice shop facility.

For this season, I was able to work out a deal to get a nice shop facility for practically nothing, so thats a great relief. I thought maybe I would upgrade the truck this year, but if I did that, I would have alot less money to put toward a house and property. The lady that has the shop I'm getting now, wants to move next year. it is a single story with basement on 2.75 acres, 30x40 pole barn w/concrete floor, and nice driveway for my purposes. I think I would probably like to get this place, it is in a nice neighborhood, the property, house, and neighborhood are well suitable for having a family in the future, good setup and location for business, close to town, neighbors not incredibly close by, etc. So, I prioritized that I would rather have the house than a newer nicer looking truck. My truck is a 1989 Ford F350 flatbed. I don't have much money in it, and its very reliable and can do anything I need. I just wanted something that looks newer and nicer and would get better gas mileage when not towing a trailer (when towing I don't care what it gets too much), as mine has a 460 7.5 liter gas motor. I weighed the options, and I think I will make do with this one another season or maybe two, unless I replace it with something at an auction if I could get it cheap, otherwise this one will do for a while longer yet. With all the money I'll save not getting something newer, I can put that toward a lot of extra gas in this one... If I wanted I could have this one painted pretty reasonably since it would just be the cab area to paint. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that its all in your priorities and what you have to work with. I know that what it would cost me to buy a new(er) truck would take a LOT of money away from that house down-payment, and this truck is not unreliable a bit, and its not an eyesore, so I decided I would keep this one and maybe put a little money into fixing it up to look nicer, but not get too extravagant on it... I would only buy a truck if I can pay for it in cash.

As long as what you're driving isn't an eyesore, and is reasonably reliable, I think it's cheaper to repair it as needed than make payments on something new. I'm not saying that if you're spending $500 a month on repairs that thats ok, but if you have to repair it for a few hundred bucks every couple months or whatever, I'd think about living with it if I could....

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. When either the doors, fenders, tailgate, cabcorners, etc., are rusted out, it's hasta la vista.

10. great post