1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Sep 29, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I have a whole bunch of properties to lime over the next few days, some of them I have soil samples for and some I don't. That means that I don't know exactly how much lime needs to be put down a bunch of my properties. My question is, CAN YOU PUT TOO MUCH Lime down? Can I cause a base problem by over-liming, or would it be OK?????? Some quick advise would be helpful!

Thank you,

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
  2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion is to do split apps if you have to apply more than 50 pounds per thousand.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do not lime without a soil test. Yes, if you put down too much you will go alkaline in soil reaction. Which causes iron and manganese to be chemically tied up. Pin oak trees will turn yellow. Rhododendron will do poorly. Unless you are getting paid big money for this liming --and all the labor is worth it--forget it. Any soil experts care to add to this?
    On the other hand--not to disagree with myself--you can buy a cheap pH meter--about $15 at garden stores or catalogues. Stick it into the ground--read the dial. Mine is not very accurate--but it is probably adequate for your situation. pH paper or a home soil test kit is another possibility. Or...even a really good pH meter or really good soil test kit, if you can justify the expense. Customers are impressed--big companies can't do this. Charge for your time, expertise and equipmet of course.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

70 lbs actively growing
    150 lbs dormant

But some mild discoloration may occur.
  5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Are we talking one $3 bag of lime spead over 20,0000 sq ft and charged $75.00 because I seriously doubt you are putting down 20 bags.

You could use sand (aka bobby) for all the difference 1 bag will make anyways.
  6. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

In the valleys of the Northwest where the soils are high in acid with clay soils. The OSU extension recommends 100 to 150 pounds per 1000 sq. feet to decrease 1 point.
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would not lime without a soil test. The amount of lime needed depends on the current pH and the Cation Exchange Capacity of the soil. Many nutrients become less available as the pH goes beyond 7.0. I charge customers 35.00 to pull the sample and interpret results. Most do not blink at 35.00. I am thinking of going to 40.00. It is an opportunity to sell extra applications.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Here in CT, odds are very good your soil is acidic. I lime every year. I get my pH to test recomendations, then do 10-15lbs/k yearly after that to maintain it. We get lots of acid rain from pollution
    .Do a soil test and see what it recomends. Yes you can put down to much. Mostly all you are doing is wasting time and money, as soils can typically only "process" 50-100lbs/k at one go. I never put down more than 50-60lbs/k at one go, personally. Do it in split apps.
  9. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

If the turf is dormant enough to withstand 150 lbs of lime, you shouldn't be walking on it, much less pushing a spreader full of lime over it, especially in the winter if the crowns are frozen.