1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Icemanku, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

How many lawns is too much for one person to handle? I'm buying an existing business with 20 lawns and in August I'll be buying another 25 lawns. Each lawn is priced at 30-40 bucks and takes about 30-45 minutes to mow with one person.

Also how much could I expect to take home after tax?(ball park)
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Does your 30-45 minutes include unload, load, and drive time? And there is a big difference between 30 and 45.

Working solo, I am able to do a little more than 1 per hour on average, maybe 9 or 10 per day, including drive time. But we have big lawns here, and they cost an average of $50 per lawn.
  3. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

that includes drive time and everything.
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Shouldn't you know all this info before buying the accounts? I have done 23 in one day solo (14 hour day) but usually try to stay between 10-15 since thats a easy pace.
  5. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

I do know all of this. I'd like to hear from you guy what you think...that's the point of a forum.

How much is too much?
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Honestly, this will depend on a lot of things, such as type of equipment, you can get a lot more done with a 36" vs. a 21" mower or even a rider. Also the experience you have in the business and on the equipment. Sized of the lots are also going to be a factor obviously. I would guess an experienced guy with the right equipment and minimal drive time could do at least 10-15 lawns that are under 5000sqft. which includes trimming and edging.
  7. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 F-150 with a V8.
    My Trailer holds one 36' and two 28" mowers.
    I have 3 trimmers
    1 backpack blower, 2 hand held blowers

The average lawn pays 40 dollars

The average time per lawn including drive time is about 35 minutes.

My one and only question is if I was to add more lawns in the same area how much would be too much?
  8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

How would we know whats too much for you. 45 accounts total, easy 3-4 days worth. Then again you might be slower then some or faster so it would vary.
  9. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

That's about the # I was thinking...

10. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

Yeah i agree 45 is a good number! I am a solo operater and have 57 lawns which range from $20-30 and its about 3 days worth at an alright pace for me. So that leaves me plenty of extra time in case of rain days, break downs,other landscape job, etc. Once you get into the routine yourself you'll be able to judge how much is too much for you!