how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Shaw, Jan 21, 2003.

  1. David Shaw

    David Shaw LawnSite Member
    Posts: 153

    I sent a letter to a retail business the other week. When I stopped in to talk to the manager she said they had someone who mowed for them but give her a bid. So I did and she hardly looked at it and said she'ld let me know. My question is do I stop back in or call or just let it go? I guess at what point do you become a pest? Dave
     
  2. Gravely_Man

    Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,076

    You want to be persistent but not pushy. I would wait a few days and follow up again under the premise that you just want to see if they had any questions on the bid that you submitted.


    Gravely_Man
     
  3. kutnkru

    kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,662

    Many times places will accept bids to keep their current LMO in check. Just keep this in mind and try to feel out the potential clients attitude, so you will know if your just throwing empty hooks or have bait attached???

    In your cover letter you should stipulate a time frame for your call back. Now when you call, you are simply following up on your estimate and can honestly reply that he/she is waiting for your call.

    I usually give them about 10 business days from the time I submit my prices.
     
  4. tiedeman

    tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth
    Posts: 8,745

    I agree, wait at least 10 days at the most. Any longer and it will make you look like you don't want it that badly.;)
     
  5. rodfather

    rodfather LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,501

    My question is, "how bad do you want the job"? That would help determine how persistent you want to be to get the work (up to the point of almost being a PITA).
     
  6. PR0 TURF

    PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,089

    Call her or stop in & say you just wanted to check & see where she stands with everything because your schedule is filling up quickly and you dont wanna leave her hanging....
     
  7. cklands

    cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA
    Posts: 360

    Try sending them a follow up letter or a follow up phone call.
     
  8. matitude

    matitude LawnSite Member
    Posts: 49

    I agree waiting any longer than 7-10 days before your follow up would seem that maybe you werent interested. As for whether to call or stop in use your own judgement if there was little or no interest on her part give her a call and spend the time saved by not stopping in on another prospect.
     
  9. lsylvain

    lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 777

    I run into this all the time with my comercial accounts. I usually call first to see if they are interested. The usual response is either: "Yes we are taking bids," or "You can drop of a bid if you like." The first usually means yes we are seeking someone to cut our grass, and the second means, "No, but if I tell you, you can bring a bid in I can get back to playing solitare."

    Then I through in the baited hooks as kutnkru puts it. Then call back in about a week.

    On the others I'll usually go in dressed nice with a bid and talk to as many people as posible about who to talk to about the bid. Don't just go in wanting the manager(they don't care), start off at the bottom of the totem pole. 9 times out of 10 the poor guy working for min wage doesn't like the guy they have because he threw grass on his car, or something. He is going to send you to the assistant manager in training, talk to them and so forth. In fifteen minutes you have half the company wanting you to cut the grass. Then a week later go by the place again not to see about the bid, but to look at something they are selling.

    You may not get the job this season, but the next year they will call you because they remember you and the asistant manager that you talked too is now the manager.

    I got a job last year for double what they were paying the other guy, doing this.


    anywayy just my 2 cents
     
  10. David Shaw

    David Shaw LawnSite Member
    Posts: 153

    Like I said I gave her the bid Monday. So I guess I'll wait till this coming Monday and then give her a call back and check to " see if she has any questions".
     

Share This Page