How much is your business worth?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TriMLawN, Nov 15, 2007.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

C'mon guy, don't insult my intellegnece. Any good business owner can accumulate that amount of accounts in a feasable time. I'm not saying 2 months, but within a season no problem.
  2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

For some reason I think the "How Much IS My Business Worth" and "Thinking About Getting OUt" Are going to be popular topics this winter. Just a thought...
  3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

price of your used equipment / add it all up / that is what your business is worth. sorry . if you had 4 crews x all equipment and trucks office with employees + commercial contracts and proof of income then you would have a business to sell. not trying to down you i am the same way.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I run solo and I would not really sell my business rather find people who are qualified to take over the jobs.
    If I sold to some of the professionals with $10/hr crews around here they would be dropped almost immediately by the clients anyway.
    As I get ready to quit - the challenge is to find someone who can handle these accounts through my corporation. They get a guaranteed income better than they can find on their own starting out and I get a piece of the action. Most importantly the client continues great service.
    Buying into a business that you can do 4k/mo on your own for 3 days a week does have a high appeal to the right person. Don't sell yourself short and don't sell to someone who says "oh, easy money!" You will see your equipment at a lawn sale and your former clients will not even look at you in the grocery store.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think your accounts are worth 4k. One months gross or 10% of gross is what I have paid for accounts.
  6. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

C'mon to you to guy. I guess you didnt really read the what I said. The only way you will pick up 50 yards here in 2 months is to lowball. I have been doing this for 16 years in the same area. When eveyone around hers is doing yards for 45-80 a month and I used to charge 150 a month and now I still want 150 a month for these lowball yards like 45-80 a month.

Now I want to see you come here and get the prices I was charging 5 years ago and pick up 50 yards in 2 months. Our season here is year round. And the toipic was in 2 months and you changed it to a whole season in which case I dont know that is cause we work every week here year round.

So therefore a northern guy cant sit here and tell a good company in Florida how to run a business. Its two different mowing areas. The amount of people mowing here is getting way out of hand.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

So the prices you are getting are good, which should reflect the work you preform. I don't lowball by any means, it's not my style. I sell my company not my price. Again as far as starting a company in FL and getting established, don't insult my intelligence. As you can read in a couple of posts on here, I have been seriously looking into it for about 2-3yrs now. We know alot of people in the area of interest and do alot of networking as well.

I don't care what type of business it is, it's about being a businessman. Next your gonna tell me that Walt Disney couldn't move to FL and start an amusement park.
  8. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

that does sound like alot i was thinkink about selling mine with 05 f250crew 06hp 46 triton 07 dixie 60 2 sets of hand held stihl and shindiw. 68 accounts 2 commercials (beach park ,westchase,tampa palms , and lutz ) gross 9200 a month with bank statements to prove by commercial deposits and copy checks 5th year in business insurance good till april for $80k but changed my mind ,because it was built from networking for 5 years unlike what to be believed you can't just pick up 50 accounts in 2 months well not at least not good long term customers it's to competitive down here there is 3 good size lawn companys on my street alone
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

80k? you would have never gotten that
  10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

D&J you are right this whole post I was trying to say that you cant pick up that many accounts in 2 months without lowballing.
    This area is way, way, way out of control in the competitive area.
    And I was never trying to insult "Paponte's" intelligence.

D&J I have seen you around and your flyers and you and I are in the most competitive areas of Tampa. That is why we no longer concentrate in those areas.

Poponte good luck coming down here I just would not think of coming to Tampa area. We have been here for 16 years and I dont care how much networking you do it will take a long time to get good prices.
    I have a network so huge that we can discontinue lawn service and go into the entire rewholsaling. Every day we have lawn and landscape people calling where to get this and that. I might as well start charging for the information.

Alot my of income is servicing other lawn care guys. Its very lucrative.