How much labor i should quote for pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by allpaving, Oct 25, 2005.

1. allpaving

allpaving LawnSite Member
    from east

I am working on getting pavers installation for a customer - I will be installing front entrance with two separate entrance(2 steps) and back patio(40'x40') and edges abound the driveway. I don't have a exact sqft but it will be close to 3000 sqft. patio will have two levels. I will be responsible pavers installation with base of 6"-8". Customer will buy their own pavers and stones(all materials). What should i quote. Thanks.

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Normal paver rate per a sq. minus 3.25 a sq ft.

Why in the world are the customers buying the materials. Do they really belive that they can get stuff cheaper than you? Wait untill you run outta supplies.

Matt

3. allpaving

allpaving LawnSite Member
    from east

I had told him it will cost around 12.50 per sq ft with material. So, should i quote $9/sq ft rate(27K) for installation.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Never Ever base a price on unit pricing. A.K.A. "per sq ft".

Ypou'll have to calculate your production hours for each individual task affiliated with the job at hand. Factor in mobilization fees. Factor in drive time, per employee, per hr, per day estimated.

One thing that drives me up the wall is when folks ask "what should I bid", "what should I quote?". Only you know your expenses. Only you know your efficiencies. "Efficiencies" as in how many sf you can install in an hr or in a day. Only you know how many tons of aggregate you can spread, grade, and compact per hr or per day :)

Good luck with the job. And track your efficiencies, so you can use those times for future pricing!

5. DVS Hardscaper

Never Ever base a price on unit pricing. A.K.A. "per sq ft".

You'll have to calculate your production hours for each individual task affiliated with the job at hand. Factor in mobilization fees. Factor in drive time, per employee, per hr, per day estimated.

One thing that drives me up the wall is when folks ask "what should I bid", "what should I quote?". Only you know your expenses. Only you know your efficiencies. "Efficiencies" as in how many sf you can install in an hr or in a day. Only you know how many tons of aggregate you can spread, grade, and compact per hr or per day :)

Good luck with the job. And track your efficiencies, so you can use those times for future pricing!

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with DVS! (wow!, I never thought i would say that):p You know how much money you need to make to pay your bills, employees...yourself! I will help you though.....Please send me your last 2 years of tax returns, balance sheets, and your checking account info. Then I will look over everything and give you a number based on your financial position and what your market will bear..............I'm sure you got my point by now.

Chris

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. I didn't know you could read a balance sheet.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey! I saw one on the internet once so back off.

Chris

9. DVS Hardscaper

I could tell you that we would do the job for $4000.00.

Lets say we're in the same market. Similar overhead.

That number still won't help you.

And that is because we have been doing pavers for quite a while. Which means we have installation systems in place. Each crew member has their own tasks, and they know it like the back of the hands. And after all these years we for the most park have all the necessary tools, machinery, etc.

Your first few jobs you will either loose money, or you may make out like a bandit. Just do the work for a price you are comfortable with, track your time fora ech task. Track the square footage, and after a while you get a better feel for how long to estimate each task for each job as you go along.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Never have the customer buy any products.