How much land is enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike'sLawnCare, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Mike'sLawnCare

Mike'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

How much land should a lawn care company buy? If that company is doing mainly mowing and just needs a place that they can store the equiptment. I have an opportunity to buy about 10 acres at a very reasonable price.

Do I really need this much? I may eventually expand and do more landscaping but as of right now 90% of my work is mowing. My thought is always buy more than you need and you can always sell it down the road for more. On a side note I could pay for 85% of this purchase with cash. So money is not the issue. Thanks for your opinions!

Mike's Lawn Care, LLC

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

they aint makin no more land. buy it if you can. it will always go up in value ( unless it is next to a dump site)

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd buy the whole 10 acres if it was me, simply cause you may need it down the road. Also, you said that money isn't the issue and you could always sell some of it. I know i could probably find use for most of the 10 acres. :)

4. Mike'sLawnCare

Mike'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies! I am probably going to look at it with my grandpa. He is a Realtor/land developer. Anyone else have any input?

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

more land is always better. up to 5 crews should fit on 1/2 acre if there are no buildings other than the workshop.

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it all if you dont use it all you do something with it that could make you money. Mini storages, shop rental, tree farm, or anything that could generate income.

7. scrib

scrib LawnSite Member

Buy It!
    You can always sell some off in the future, but you won't once you have it you will never want anything less than. I have 5 acres and it is not enough. Once you have a house and a large yard and a pole barn you won't have much left.
    Just my 2 cents

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I say go for it too!!

9. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

Build ya a house, huge shop, lake, burn pit or what ever.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say around 4-10 acres should be good. Unless you plan on expanding in something larger down the road