1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much lawn is too much for a self propelled?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jopopsy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Hey Gang,

I was wondering what you guys thought was probably 'too much' lawn for a walk behind self propelled mower? I THINK I'm right on the cusp of possibly being too much to walk but too little to ride. I'm debating buying either a Snapper Hi-Vac Self Propelled w/ the Briggs 8.75 or a Snapper RER 28" w/ the Briggs Intek 12.5.

How much grass goes from 'this walk behind is perfect' to 'OMG I've spent 1.5 hours walking around my yard'? I don't want to over-buy, but I also don't want buyer's remorse !!!

Thanks in advance !!!
  2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

How much have you got? I would start thinking about some kind of rider at around 10,000 square feet, but then, I'm pretty lazy. I have a friend that walks an acre with a 21" self-propelled twice a week, and he's happy as a clam.
  3. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

About 1/3 of a acre? Its right on the line ... *I think*
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive cut 1 and 1/5 acers of tall grass with my Snapper 21" when my big mower was broke. It took me less than 2 hours. For 10k sq feer a 21" is fine

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i say any lawn bigger then 10x10 is too much for a push mower. but then again i hate push mowing.
  6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

So somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 sq ft? Personally, I would get that Snapper RER you're looking at or a small ZTR.
  7. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

about 2 acres becomes too much:weightlifter:
  8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

get a dolly for it. most walk behind manufacturers make these for their mowers.that way you just stand on it and let it pull you around.lot cheaper than a new mower.
  9. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

1/3 of an acre is fine for a push mower. Its a good workout too which we Americans need more of. A little walk never hurt anyone. Now if you are a lazy person and/or out of shape, then go with a 36"-42" sit down because you will probably buy one anyways once you mowed a few times and find yourself having to stop every few minute to take a drink of your beer. With a rider you can drink and mow, just don't go on the roadway (I do not endorse Drinking and Mowing. Thats too redneck). If I had 1/3 acre, I would be buying a push mower. It not that big especially with your house and drive taking up a portion of that land.
  10. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Actually the house is sitting on 1/2 acre, I think I have 1/3 acre of actual mowable land. Still self propelled territory?