1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much less do you charge if..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Jan 31, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer agrees to pay cash? Say it's one of those good customers and you want to give them a break, How much do you take off or is this bad practice when going legal? <(license,ins, etc)
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Well the principle benefit of getting cash is to make it less traceable to withhold it from tax. Obviously this is bad practice if you are going LEGAL.
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give them the same discount that the gas station, mower shop, insurance company, tax man, etc. would give me. That is, none.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If any customer paid for a full contract up front, I offered one month free...If a customer paid cash up front for a full season I'd do the same. If some guy offered me some cash to cut his yard once and It was a slow day, I did it and baught the crew lunch that day....

If some one wanted to pay cash for one months service, it did not benfit me to give them any breaks, since the invoice was already in the computer and prints each month.... It meant more work to take it out of the system.

Now Bartering....that works good. I had one customer who was a professional carpet cleaner. I had a dog, two cats and 2 year old. he was good. I had another custoemr who worked for a BMW Dealership and got the windows tinted in a couple of my cars for me and work trucks. and I had another customer who had a housekeeping service....The wife liked that one.... I know you're supposed to claim it on taxes, but they weren't claiming me and I wasn't claiming them...Not Legal, but one of bennies of being a sole proprietor...
  5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

One free month???? that could be over a couple hundred bucks!

I would tell the customer thanks for paying up front and they get 1 free mow. Not an entire months worth of work.
  6. packerbacker

But back to the original question. WHy wouldnt you claim it? Just because they pay with cash, credit card or check doesnt mean you cant claim one or the another.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't advertise that over the internet :dizzy:
  8. KathysLGC

This is why i'm asking, I also gave examples of what i meant by "legal". I asked if it was even good practice cause I just want to know if it's more profitable to have a few accounts under the table or just have them all on the books.
  9. packerbacker

I put everything i make on the books. But i also keep track of every penny i spend down to the last bottle of water so my write offs are astronomical. If you need to ask yourself if its good practice to cheat on your taxes...
  10. KathysLGC

Ok... Ok.. Just FYI i am getting back into landscaping this coming year. I'm going legit this time. I have a few customers that i did last year under the table as side jobs. No contracts and they have always paid. I am going part time this year with hopes of if leading to a full time job. This message board is for questions so i asked.