1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how much material?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steeley, May 18, 2004.

1. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I need to spread crushed rock in a driveway that is about 1500 square feet how much rock do I need? Is 3" deep enough?

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

sq ft. / 120 = # of tons @ 2"

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Looking at about 15yds. ;)

4. EmeraldHills03

EmeraldHills03 LawnSite Member

14 cubic yards for 1500 sq ft. @ 3". I would charge your customer for another 2 or 3 cubic yards extra incase you run out. (16 or 17c/y) You Don't want to find your self asking your costumer for more money because you under estimated. Doesn't look good.

5. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

I work part-time for a decorative rock company,size of rock matters. 3/8 175sqft per ton
    5/8 150 per ton
    7/8 110 per ton all at a 2" depth. The depth used for most yards.
    For a driveway, 3"-4" is best. I use a 1/4 minus product that is 96% lime. The material is marbleized limestone. I would bring in 20-22 tons, a full truck. We spread the rock, wet and roll it with a sod roller. Because of the inherent lime content, it sets up very smooth and hard, almost like concrete. I get $27 a ton for the rock and $35 a ton for the install.