How much money is there in lawn Care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steve184, Jun 3, 2008.

1. steve184

steve184 LawnSite Member
    from Korea

Hi,

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I just wondered how much it is possible to make in lawn care in the US.

Any states offer better opportunities?

I am currently abroad and don't have a lot of qualifications / opportunities to go back to so am considering a small business.

I am thinking that I'd like to start a lawn mowing business and I just wondered how attainable six figures per year is. With hard work and a bit of luck how long do you think it would take realistically.

Steve

2. johnnie5

johnnie5 LawnSite Member

6 figures

is that the turnover ? or the profit that you hope to achieve ?

3. steve184

steve184 LawnSite Member
    from Korea

Thats profit.

Not right away of course - but possible after several years?

Steve

4. johnnie5

johnnie5 LawnSite Member

as with all business's work smarter not harder and anything is possible

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

After all the costs are paid, not much is left.
    That's regardless of initial sum.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Steve - your probably better off being a diversified 'green' organization rather than just doing lawn mowing - thats too cutthroat to make huge money in after just a couple years. Do you landscape? Hardscape? Other?
    Diversification is where its at.

7. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

Diversification is totally the only way to survive here as the mow blow and go is all being taken by the 15$ a cut illegal mexicans. How much you can make will vary by location and the competition is huge you have the mexis, the part timers, and now I'm even starting to see retirees doing them. Here the trend is going away from lawn to xeriscape, and other water smart options.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your mowing only your not going to have much profit with gas prices the way they are now and with everyone under the sun mowing. What people are willing to pay is considerably lower than it was 10yrs ago and prices for everything are through the roof. Diversify your business with landscaping, patios, walls, water features, overseeding or whatever works for your business. Mowing only accounts for 30% of my total revenue every year, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less but lawn renovation/installation and landscaping bring in 70%.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

doing landscaping work requires additional workers in most cases. It's kinda hard to do EVERYTHING yourself when it comes to hardscape/landscape work. What happens when you get a few big jobs? Your almost forced to hire a employee just to get them done. What happens when the retaining wall takes a few weeks to complete and you have mowing that needs to be done and the customer wants their retaining wall finished? I just can't see the diversity unless you have tons of work already and you HAVE to hire someone. I prefer to work solo and don't want to deal with figuring out how I'm going to get it all done trying to build hardscapes and landscapes and get all the mowing done.

10. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the smarter and harder you work the more money you will make.you could become the owner of this domain if you work hard enough and offer enough money.