1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much more will you pay for equip. to stay local?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rott_dobe, Jul 8, 2004.

1. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I've begun the ZTR research, and as of tomorrow demoing phase. My question is there are not multiple dealers very close for any certain brand, so they pretty much set a high(er) price on their mowers.

One poster gave me a name of a store around my families home town that I can buy a Gravely for about $1k less than in my local town. I also made a cold call to a dealer in Chicago about a different brand, and the price they gave me over the phone was $1k less than the price marked on the same unit at the local dealer for that brand.

To be honest, I have not tried dealing with the local companies, but I did not deal with the places I called on the phone either. I know for the Gravely at least the local dealership has no problem servicing units they did not sell. I'm sure they will take care of a customer that bought their unit from them first, but they seem to be a pretty good shop, so I think they would take decent care of me. I bought every other piece of lawn care equipment I have from them (chainsaw (Husq.), trimmer (Tanaka) and walk-behind (Snapper).

I don't want to sound like I'm against supporting my local economy, it's just that $1k is a LOT of money to me. Now if I can get them down to a couple hundred, I would have no problem buying local.

What would you all do?
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I would see if the local dealer would lower the price to meet the competitor. Tell them you would really like to buy from them if they give you a price break. Stand firm though and don't give in for convinence.
  3. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

A thousand dollars is a LOT of money. However, chances are if you tell your local dealers about the available prices (you dont have to tell him where or how far away necessarily) he will drop some.

I guarantee you this - if ONE dealer can sell for $1000 less, so can everyone else if they want to do so and as long as you are comparing apples to apples. There may be some slight pricing differnce dut to volume but not $1000.

I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars to stay local (within a half hour's drive is 'local' in my view) but that's it.

Money is money, and it's better in your pocket than that of your local dealer. :D
  4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Rockford is not too far from a whole lot of dealers out near me (Schaumburg/Arlington Heights/Palatine) and I'd say the 1 hour drive is well worth the money you'll save if you're talking $1000 difference. I'd say talk to your local guy, and if they won't work with you on this purchase, it probably means they won't be working too well with you down the road either, and it may be better to drive a little.
  5. rott_dobe

Good, so it seems like I'm doing a bad thing by looking outside the Rockford area.

One of the places I called, was in Carol Stream. That was on a Great Dane Chariot LX. But that was before getting everyone's replies on Great Danes. Now I probably won't actually buy one of them, but that was just a second data point to compare with local dealers.

Do you have good local dealers for Exmark and Hustler around you?

Also, if you all bought from a dealer an hour away, would you take it there for service also? It probably wouldn't be too bad, because I do plan on buying a trailer...it would just speed up my time table for doing that.
  6. rott_dobe

Oops, I meant to say "it seems like I'm NOT doing a bad thing..."