How much moving of lawn obstacles do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve9, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Am I lazy or what? I refuse to move toys or objects left in the yard. AT best I take one foot off the pro-slide and drag/kick a small object to where I just mowed so its not in the way or my next run. If hoses are left all tangled up just under the faucet I mow right around it and do the best I can with the trimmer. i don't stop and roll up the hose and hang it for them. Battery powered kids cars? I just run up to them and gently push them with my walk behind over to the side. (Maybe I need a cattle guard like trains?) Paper in the yard week after week? I don't continue to pick it up. i go around and blow it into a corner when I'm done.
    I'm speaking of the habitual offenders. If somebody leaves stuff out occasionally, i'll move it. Its the customers who leave all the tennis balls, kids toys, hoses and trash that really pi$$ me off.
    I feel as though I'm being taken advantage of in those situations. People must not expect me to because nobody has ever said anything to me. I cant afford to spend 10 minutes picking up a lawn just to mow.

:realmad:

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

AT best I take one foot off the pro-slide and drag/kick a small object to where I just mowed so its not in the way or my next run. If hoses are left all tangled up just under the faucet I mow right around it and do the best I can with the trimmer. i don't stop and roll up the hose and hang it for them. Battery powered kids cars? I just run up to them and gently push them with my walk behind over to the side.

I pretty much handle things the same way. However, I have learned that the majority of customers don't think about these things. They don't water their flowers and then think " i'd better roll up this hose so the yard is clear for the lawn guy". They figure its their lawn, so they can leave stuff where they want.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah the repeat offenders are the worst! My Service Agreements assign the client a weekly mowing day and it then states that ALL items must be picked up and all gates unlocked and pets secured on that day each week. Now for the seldom offender or the every now and then item we just pickup, but the repeat offenders we will pickup a couple of times and after that we just mow around them.....after a while they get the message. If it becomes too much of an issue our Agreement states that they are subject to a pickup fee if we deem it needed.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Some do and then some don't...for those who don't, we just mow around all year long.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I will usually move items. NOBODY wants to run over a rock with a mower, or use their mower as a chipper. if they leave crap out all the time, I'll mow around it, and get it with the trimmer. most people get the picture that I will not be their maids and pick up the yard for them.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutelty Positively None!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a place that I just dropped becuz of the toys & crap. Every week it got worse, more toys more chairs outside on the lawn. They have a cable tv line that was put in, in march and still on top of grass. Friday we got there and it looked like a frickin' toy store. Told guys lets go. Went to the door and told nanny to let the homeowners know that I wont be returning.

I'm not the nanny, cleaning lady or the kids parents. I wont pickup after them. I have another place lady leaves her lawn chairs out all the time. Finally she asked one of my guys to move the chairs, he said,No. She then asked why, he told her that it wasnt his job and that she should keep them off the lawn.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually just boot the stuff, or go around it.. Toys on the other hand especially if they're small, get mulched.. I get no complaints, and the toys are usually gone from the lawn next time..

9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the exact same way. With some people it gets worse every week. BobbyGedd had a good point about sending out a notice to all customers that there would be a small surcharge for repeated offenders. The way I am looking at it now is that fi I have to spend 2 to 5 minutes per lawn picking up their stuff, then I'm losing 30 to 75 minutes per day (at 15 cuts per day) or potential $25 to $75 per day.

10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge an additional $5 for everytime I have to get off the mower to move a toy/hose/etc...

The first time you leave out a pile of toys, and 6 hoses, and every damn dog toy ever made.. See your monthly maintenance bill go from $175 to $400.. There will NO LONGER be toys on the lawn in the future..

Its in the contracts too.. Don't have too much of a problem, hoses and dog toys mostly..