How much mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mh1314, Jan 31, 2004.

1. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

2. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

L xW=sq.ft for your bed size.NOW take 3in. into 1ft.=.25 this is your depth of mulch.take your (bed size in sq.ft x .25=cubic feet L=100 x w=20=2000sq.ft x.25=500cubic.ft .to change to cubic yards divide by 27cubic ft =1cubic yd. =18.5cubic yd of mulch. i hope this helps.when your on the spot. my? is what is the going charge for a mulch job by cubic yd or ft.
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

For cedar mulch, I charge $80 per yard, bought and installed. If the client has it delivered, then I charge $50 per yard to install it.
    It costs me almost $30 per yard whether I buy it bulk or in bags.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm charging right a $81 per cubic yard assuming it's going into a weed free bed. If the beds are weedy, the price per cubic yard increases. I charge frm $81 per cubic yard to $155 per cubic yard, depending on how the beds look.

Aren't you charging extra for de-weeding the beds?

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

$81.00!! I need to move upt there... :)
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

of course I am. The $80 is to go get it and to install it. If the beds need weeding, the price goes up depending on how much work it needs.
  7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

landscape fabric under mulch? can you tell me what goes into deciding whether or not to use it?
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's organic mulch, don't do it. The mulch will break down on top of the fabric, and not incorporate into the soil. Weed seeds will blow in and germinate on top of the mulch, the fabric will do NOTHING to stop this.

If it's inorganic "mulch", such as gravel/river rock, then, yes, put down fabric.

9. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i just posted this on another thread. we charge 90$ per. includes edging and weeding. more for colored mulch. landscape fabric? never. however, we do come out and weed every month for a nice tidy sum.

we have plenty of work. i sell most of my customers on a second 'dress-up' application in the fall and the monthly weeding while selling the initial proposal.
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we dont touch a fork full of mulch unless they allow us to edge or re-edge the beds...not doing that makes for a sorry looking job. Priced per linear foot...usually between .50 and 1.00 /ft