How much N for fall aplications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Aug 24, 2006.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok guys, I did a search and didnt find what I need. Ive seen alot of yall post before, x lbs of N per 1000 sq ft. Its late and Im tired and didnt have great luck with a search be kind to me and answer my question plzzzzz. Oh if it is needed, the lawns are fescue, bermuda and weed mix all in the same yard lol. After 2 years of a drought, people realize they are going to have to spend some $$$$ to get hem to live

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If you are talking about a single application you can apply 1-1.5 lbs per k in the fall. If 2 applications you can put up to 2.5 lbs. One warning, don't start too early, wait until we have a significant rain (as non irrigated turf in Va. is stressed now) and even then you should use a 35-50% slow release unless you wait until the late fall.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

Thanx for the info.........Im thinking 3rd week in Sept till sometime in early Oct IF it ever rains lol.

4. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

get as good a slow release N source as possible for the sept app. You can blast a lawn in new england in the fall with as much as 1.5 #s N per K. If you are doing it like I do, Its 1 # around 9/1 , 1# around columbus day 10/10 ,
    and a late late app after dormancy. Dormancy is the key here . You dont want the grass actually trying to use the last app, because that causes other problems.

Fall N apps tend to promote horizontal growth as opposed to top growth in spring and summer.
    Late fall app can be any quick release fert, but make sure its dormant.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

That goes against every University study that I've ever read. Applying N to dormant turf will promote snowmold issues. The N needs to be taken in by the turf before it is dormant, and converted and stored in the roots for quicker spring green up. Also, dormant applications of N are subject to volitization and run-off. As turf managers, we must be aware of the fate of fertilizers before more laws are passed to restrict us.
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Actuall,I think the Dr and Grass Mechanical are both correct. The difference is where they are located. In Mi, where GrassM lives, the temps rarely warm up enough for the cool season turf to restart active growing, Applying extra N in this situation could help cause the snowmold, but in Va, you can have warm spells every month of winter where the cool season grass can actively start growing and a little extra N can be benefitual. JMO
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

Here is another thing Im faced with also, alot of my yards have alot of leaves in the fall, as dry as its been the last couple of years, I hate to put down fertilizers and then come back and vacumn it up and put it in a compost pile. That is why im hoping to get the fert down and some rain on it before Nov 15th when the leaves really start to fall

8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

You beat me to the punch! I was going to post almost word for word the exact same thing. :cry:

Couldn't agree more. And now
    :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
    These are my guys doing a rain dance for north and central va.
  9. Dr Green

Dr Green LawnSite Member

I should have clarified that I'm from Mid New England . Im not used to talking to people in southern climates . Usually when I speak, the person is in front of me and we are talking about the same climates.