How much N?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by regularguy, Jul 18, 2003.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I live in Northern Illinois and I want my yard to be perfect, I can water it as much as needed, and I don't mind mowing every other day. My question is-would one pound of actual nitrogen (slow release) per thousand square feet be excessive? My soil tests are fine, perfect actually. Would more than a pound of actual nitrogen be better? I don't always see the really deep dark green lush foliage that I am looking for. The lawn is 100% blue grass. Thanks.

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

How often are you putting down nitrogen? one pound/1000 for bluegrass is what I believe, the upper limit for bluegrass. what's the other analysis on your fertilizer.

3. regularguy

I should have included that I was planning to do that every month during the growing season. I can water as needed and make sure that I can put down 1 1/2 inches of water each and every week. I want my yard to be perfect. Thanks

4. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I would say that a pound of N per month can be a little excessive, though you may be on the right track. Here are some things to consider.....The reasoning years ago was a pound a month, but this was when urea was the common source of N. About half of the N in urea is lost due to volitization. In the case of organics, you may be only getting a half pound as well. Products such as Milorgonite have something similar to a half life. If one pound is applied, the turf will recieve 1/2 lb this year, 1/4 lb next year, 1/8 lb in two years, etc. Kentucky bluegrass should recieve about 3-5 lbs of N per growing season, so I would say you are pushing the turf a little too much. Too much N can lead to outbreaks of some pretty nasty diseases, though you are on the right track of using slow-release organics to prevent diseases. You may want to add iron to your yard, as it helps to provide the dark green color you are looking for. Also, you may have a cultivar of bluegrass that is a lighter green and may not get a deep color. I would suggest keeping the N in the 3-5 lb range (stick with organics if you like), applying iron once a month, and backing off on the water. If you want your plants to grow any roots, make them search for it.

5. regularguy

Thanks All.

6. mulching clipping, apply 3lbs per 1000 per year with 2 lbs applied in fall!

from dixon, Ill, left ill in 1988

tim