How much Nitrogen per year? Tall Fescue.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daren, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

How much nitrogen do you guys put down per year on tall fescue? I am going to do apps. every 6 to 8 weeks. thanks!

Daren

2. Two lbs. or less unless you want to cut it every 5 days.

3. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

According to the University of Ky. (for Ky. lawns)

Sept. 1 lb. per K
    Oct - Mid Nov. 1-1 1/2 lb.
    Mid Nov.- Jan. 1-1 1/2 lb.
    Mid May - Mid June 1/2 lb.

4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to figure how much it needs is a soil test. then you will know for sure how much it really needs. but in general it will need 4-6 pounds of nitrogen per year per 1000 sf.

A lawn that is baged needs about 2 extra poundds of nitrogen per year.

I hope this helps

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is a soil test going to tell you how much N is present??
    6 to 8 pounds.....you must get paid by the hour to mow!

6. Daren,

I use 4-6 lbs of Nitrogen per 1,000 sq ft. on the majority of my lawns. I apply it using a slow release nitrogen fertilizer, so I'm applying the fertilizer about every 10-12 weeks. Now in the summer I do apply a lower N ratio fertilizer to apply 1/2# of N per 1,000 sq ft., due to the fescue growing less in the summer heat. Early spring and fall I use a higher N ratio fertilizer to get about 1 1/2# of N per app, per 1,000 sq ft. An ppp of 1# per 1,000 sq ft is done in the late fall to carry over into the spring.

7. NO!!

A good contractor can just look at the turf to tell if it needs N.

Since I am a real LCO with a PSU soil test result in my hand
    (they recommend 3-5lb/1k on blue/rye)the message on the soil test is as folows:

There is no reliable test for evaluating the amount of actual N in soils that is available to turfgrasses over the growing season.

8. Guest

Best answer here is from Ricky. Several university horticulture departments have excellent turfgrass programs, including UK. NC State for warm season grass, and VA Tech for cool season, are two of the best.

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

4-6 lbs of N p/1000 sqr ft? Holy Nitro Batman. Using all the University sources I can find, I see 1.5-2.5 Lbs per 1000 SQ FT per year as the range. Here in SE Virginia, any Fescue lawn will burn up in the summer hear with that amount of Nitrogen even with proper irrigation. I apply a 10/10/10 early in Feb at a .25-.50 LB rate, and then a faster release mid March to Mid April at 1lb. I do not fertilize again til the early Fall and it is then that I add another 1 l-1.25 lbs p/1K Sqr Ft.

10. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

The following is directly from the Washington State University Cooperative Extension Service, Pullman, WA and is specifically aimed at Washington turf.

"The intended use of the lawn determines the amount of fertilizer required to maintain turf of a high quality. HIGH QUALITY LAWNS and intensively used playfields and football fields should be fertilized more than other turfgrass areas. RESEARCH HAS SHOWN THAT GRASS REMOVES NUTRIENTS FROM THE SOIL IN A RATIO OF 6 PARTS OF NITROGEN TO 1 PART PHOSPHORUS TO 4 PARTS POTASSIUM. Since clippings are rarely removed from school turf, some nutrients are returned to the soil from clippings. Some soils have high levels of phospohorus and potassium and may require only nitrogen for many years.

Football fields, intensively used playfields and HIGH QUALITY TURF AREAS should receive about 8 pounds of available nitrogen per 1,000 square feet per year. The following example can be used to compute fertilizer needs: assume a 21-7-14 formula; in order to obtain 8 pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet per year, divide 0.21 [21%] into 8, resulting in 38 pounds. While providing 8 pounds of nitrogen, this formula will also yield 2.66 pounds of P2O5 phosphorus, and 5.32 pounds of K2O potassium [38 lbs. x .07 = 2.66 and 38 x .14 = 5.32]. Any fertilizer formula can be computed in a similar manner. Since it was determined that the above quantity was sufficient for an entire year, the total amount [38 lbs.] should be divided into 5 or 6 equal applications, 7.6 lbs. or 6.3 lbs. of 21-7-14 per 1,000 square feet per application."