how much of your deck is really used

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Sep 11, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have noticed that on my 48 i usually only use 38 to 42 inches.i tried to convince myself that a few inches every pass aint that much but over an acre it really adds up with gas and time.how much of your deck do yall use ?

2. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

If you are triing to mow fast, you will always do that.

Try to do stripes and you get better at using the whole deck(so the lines dont overlap)

On Our 62 we can get bad and use like 40 inches of it. I get on the guys about it all the time

3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

i find myself doing this to. i have a 48" deck but catch myself only using 36" of it. it is something that i need to constantly try to work on.

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt I overlap too much more then an inch.

5. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. I have to work at it also, but as the other posts stated, we are wasting time and gas. But, there is a time when you may want to consider doing this. When the grass is really thick and tall, I sometimes don't take as big a "bite" on purpose so as not to overwork the enginge. Seems to help, and not lug down as bad.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

This is where I am wondering if a 32 or 36" is really worth it. I find myself that with my 36 I end up only cutting 26-28". with the 21" I find that I cut 20 or more. Thick lush turf the less I cut. This is mulching and bagging I find that I cut a little more. I hate bagging. I will have a 52 next year beings I cut some larger props so I figure I will cut a full 48. Just one of those things.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I never overlap more than the overhang after the front caster. It makes it easy to track. Just run your tire next to the tire mark from your last pass. With this as your guide (depending on trim edge) you should be running no more than 3-5 inches overlap.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i'm using 58-59" of my 60" deck, consistently. its second nature, i rarely leave a strip of grass.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see, I have the grill in one corner, table and tomato plants in another section..... oops. wrong deck.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hah, I am not too bad about how much I overlap, maybe 3-4 inches :blob3: