How much of your life is lawncare anyway.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Aug 30, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first started my business, I worked 10 - 14 hours a day and most of the rest of time I spent hunting equipment deals or thinking of how to build my business. Every thing seemed so "fresh & wondefull". In contrast, now I still love the business, however now with employees and enough financial
    stability to have accumulated things in life I couldnt afford before, I have toned back from my business to enjoy life with my family and other interests. I work 25 to 40 hours a week (some days I let the crews go mowing while I basically piddle with minor repairs and things) and I cant stand to work on a weekend any more (too many fish waiting to be caught).
    Anyone who has been around a while go thru simular experiences?
    Is this good or not good, what do u think?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yes. And I've been around awhile :) and only spend the amount of time I have to with the business to keep things running smoothly. Thats the whole Idea of being the owner. If I still needed to work 12 hrs a day 6 days a wk then I would not consider the business successful, I would still be a slave to the job, no different than punching a time card for someone else. Enjoy what you have built and take pride in the fact that you can do something that most people in this business will never get the chance to enjoy since 90% don't make it past 5 yrs. I'm talking about full time, pay all the bills support the family and put something away for retirement. I'm not referring to the part time supplement the income guys, or the younger members that don't have the mortgage and family etc. to pay for yet.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

someday, i will reach my goal, which is right where you are now....

my time, 110% of it , for now.. :)
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Mac, I know u been around a while and I always look forward to hearing what u have to say. You always tell it straight up and from experience. By the way, hows business been in your small town with these fuel costs.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thanks PJ, I cover 5 counties so my small town is actually quite large :p
    But I already see trouble ahead, Mowing is basically the commercial and residential and the residential are the ones that have to have it done because of time constraint and money no problem, and the other is the residents that enjoyed having it done because it gave them more time to enjoy there week ends. The ones that it was a luxury for are starting to cut back a little already.
    I think whats gonna happen, happened in the late 70s early 80s and that will be that the economy will put a lot of the part timers out of business because the easy accounts are gone and the business that are still in it will be competing for the commercials and the residential accounts that have to be mowed. Installations will slow way down as people have less $$$ to use for upgrades and there will be fewer new homes sold. The companies that know there costs and can shave the few ΒΆΒΆ off there bids will be the ones that get the work that will be available. JMO but seen it happen once and I believe were heading that way again.
  6. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I am at the point of eating breathing and sleeping lawncare. I am also in college to be a better lawn care expert. I am at a community college and will transfer to Auburn in a year or so for the horticultural program. I have enough business to keep me going non stop about 40 hours a week full 12's on the weekend and plugs through the week. I am trying not to let the monster turn me from the education. I understand maint and customer mentality I just want to be a real ceritified expert than just a self proclaimed expert with a lic. I have learned a ton here and continually tweak my master plan. I too worry about the economy but we as Americans need to find a way out and hold the lawmakers and the court system liable. BUt this consumes my nearly everythought and it is very addictive.
  7. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I say--"good for you". You've obviously done some things right. You've earned the right to have some R&R.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow in my sleep every night. Also have that reacurring dream that I forgot one. Don't need to as money is not that tight. Next year will be Solo again and plan on cutting way back unless I can find a young one that can keep up and is interested in the long run. Helper this year is great but I know he is off to bigger and better things.
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Het Rhett, where in FL is Destin?

I'm at the point right now, where I do nothing BUT lawn care. I eat sleep breath and crap grass. not literally, but I do so much if it I may as well. I guess you could say I've got no life, but who's to complain about that? better I be running a business than doing drugs and drinking my life away like most of my classmates do.
  10. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The panhandle (NWF) in between Panama City and Pensacola.