How much Oil???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SteveG66, May 23, 2004.

1. SteveG66

SteveG66 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm a bit embarassed to ask this but how much engine oil do I put into my JD GT275 with 17hp Kawasaki Single Cylinder?

I loaned the tractor to my brother a couple of years ago, I do know he returned the owners manual to me. I just can't seem to find it..Owners Manual.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

I know the obvious answer is...Until its Full.:D But need a little more accuracy than that.

Thanks again and have a great night and weekend!!!
    Steve G

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

just add some like 1 qt then check the dipstick add accordingly

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

and DO NOT screw the dipstick back in when checking, just sit the dipstick at the top of the filler neck. this will give you the correct oil level.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure on yours but i have a 15 and a 17 hp kaw and they both take 52 ounces

5. SteveG66

SteveG66 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses, After I sent the message out, I kinda sat there and thought the same thing. I ended up putting in almost two quarts. JD 10w30.

Funny thing is I was getting it ready to sell as I feel it is too big for my lawn. I demoed a Gravely Pro G Pro Steer 1336 and wasn't overly impressed with the results or the difficulty with the Gravely. I am just going to keep the Deere.

Thanks again and hope you all are staying dry as we aren't here in Indy.

SteveG

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

you should just run straight 30

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on the outside temp really. you can get away with straight 30 but down here in the summer we like 15w-40.

8. SteveG66

SteveG66 LawnSite Member

The manual suggests using 10w30, also it was included in one of the maint. kits that JD sells, I figure they have to stand behind their product and service. It really doesn't get that much use, let alone heavy use.

I appreciate the concern though!!

SteveG