1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much pay per sq. ft. for sealing?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by m0i0k0e, Jul 19, 2005.

1. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I am a homeowner in Maryland, and I wanted to know how much should I expect to pay to have my driveway sealed. The driveway way installed in February of 2004 and is in need of sealing. I can see cracks on the edges.
    It is around 3000 square foot, give or take.

I've had a few different guys with a pickup truck and a sprayer on the back of their trucks pop up in my neighborhood. One guy says he could do mine for $450, but told me if he had to come back he would have to charge me $650 because the prices were going up the next day from his supplier!
    So, I declined because I suspected he was just going to spray thinned out black stuff on my driveway. However, lots of my neighbors jumped right on it and it appears as though it may have worked out for them? Who know?

The next guy told my neighbor $20 dollars a gallon and he said he needed 20 gallons for his driveway which is at least 2-1/2 times shorter than my driveway. My neighbors had the work done and it was $400 total. My neighbor thought I would need maybe 50 gallons for my driveway. That would be $1000.

Anyway, I really need to get this done and I was wondering what is a fair price for the job and how will I know if the product is worth the money I spend. Since this isn't my business, I am totally ignorant when it comes to driveway sealing.

Can anyone give me some guidelines or direction on this?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

No one thats a respectable business prices by the gallon , prices for material are not jumping fast . And in Maryland you have to be a licensed home improvement contractor with a valid MHIC. . The material is coal tar emulsion . The finished job should look flat black , not gloss.
    We added sealing 8 years ago , and have never knocked on a door for work , there is never "extra " material , its good all summer as long as it doesnt freeze.

You say you have 3000 sq feet , so thats basically 10 by 300 , some of that could be sprayed , but the areas near the garage and house need to be brushed.
    Thats about a 700 to 1000 dollar job , the cracks along the edges will always be there , there are crack sealers but they dont stop the cracks. They will always happen along the edge .

You are too far from me , call a sealmaster distributor near you and get a name of a contractor in the area.
  3. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

The driveway is 18 months old, why does it need sealing? The Asphalt Institute does not recommend sealing a low traffic "properly installed" pavement for 3 - 10 years. See info here. A residential driveway should not need it for at least 5 years IMO.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

$700 - $1000 you MUST be talking about repaving the driveway not sealing it.

Thats like .30sq ft .... More than triple that you can get around here
  5. Mdirrigation

Thats why I dont live where you do . Re paving $ 2.00 a sq foot , $ 3000.00 minimum charge .
  6. Mdirrigation

It doesnt need sealing at all . Trim on a house doesnt need to be painted . Sealing with coal tar is preventative measure that extends the life of asphalt and looks good when done . Thats the main reason customers want sealing , for that jet black finish . The general rule about sealing asphalt is the water bead test . If you pour a cup of water on the surface and it doesnt bead it can be sealed. You have to wait for the oils of the new material to work off.
  7. zapy

zapy LawnSite Member

I just paid $500 to get mine done. The guy showed up out of nowhere claiming a deal while he was around.

I went for it after verifying his materials (Star-seal supreme), mnaufacturer's suggested application instructions etc.

My drive is 575' long x 10' wide plus a 30x20 additional parking area. That's 6350 sq, feet. 12.7 cents per sq. ft.

The applicator claims a 5 year warranty. The job looks pretty good. I'm happy with it.
  8. The proper way to seal coat never before sealed pavement is two light coats. Either 2 by squeegee or brush or 1 squeegee and 1 brush (i prefer the 2nd since the squeegee lets you get it into all the nooks and crannies and the spray will let you put a nice coat on top where it gets the most wear. High traffic areas like gas station entrance/exits and fast food places would be best with 3 coats.

If it was me doing your driveway i'd probably chage you .20 cents a foot for the first coat and .18 for the 2nd. If you dont have any cracks and only required a basic cleaning/prep without any major dirt, you would probably expect to pay $600 for the first coat and $540 for the 2nd, for a total of $1140 Seems a bit high, that is a rather large driveway, so i would probably cut you a break and do it for less.

Always be careful when somebody knocks on your door. I'm sure some legit companies do this, but there are lots of fly-by-night scam artists out there too. They will do an inferior job and maybe even spray water-downed sealer and you won't get a quality result.
  9. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

In North East MN, the rates for just sealing with minimal prep are $85 to $100 for 1,000sq ft. :waving: and we have an $100 minimum on all jobs.
  10. m0i0k0e

m0i0k0e LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the replies and comments!

I called around and spoke to a contractor that says he charges .10 sq/ft. It turns out my driveway is is more like 5300 sq/ft. (12' wide and the pad next to the garage added on) So, he was going to charge me $535, but he's cutting me a little slack and will do it for $485. We'll see how it turns out?

I appreciate all of the comments, because I have a learned a great deal about sealing while researching this project.