How much per acre for a 27 acre job??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TylerAssociatesLLC, Jan 31, 2001.

1. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

We are looknig to bid on a County job thats about 27 acres, mostly open, no major hills, all riding, 2 hours trimming max, all with 2 people. Fairly smooth terrain. We would be cutting with (2) 61" Turf Tigers. Just curious of what everyone would bid.

2. The price depends on the area you are in. In my region it would be in the $35 per acres range for me. There are a few that would bid it a lot cheaper here (my locale) though and they would probably get it. I try to look at each new job and see where I can maximize my profit.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I bid on county work before. Where I live it goes to the lowest bidder. How many man hours do you think it would take to cut and trim this? 27 open acres sounds nice.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

With 2 hours to trim it, you should be able to mow it in 4 hours with 2-60" machines if it is done weekly. This is one thing you didn't mention, how often. I don't think you will get it bidding it at $35 an acre, but I could be wrong.

5. With 3 acres per hour mowing prouction thats about 10 hours + 2 to tirm + travel time?

Mow cost at $25/hr=$250 trim at $21/hr=$42=total cost $292

30% gross profit margin=$417
    35% is $450
    40% is $486

6. TylerAssociatesLLC

It is to be done weekly, it will take most of a day to cut and trim. about 12 hours mowing, 2 trimming, plus dork around time to eat, fill up gas tank, rest and get a drink ends up being 16 hours min.
    at 30 and acre it would be $810, which is about 50 an hour. but i'm not sure if thats a win-a-bid price

7. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

$810 sounds a bit low for a 16 hour day. Make sure it is worth it before you bid.

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have got a few jobs that i do by the acer, I charge 40 per acer, there both around 6 acers. Takes me around 3hrs to mow and 30 min to trim. I average around 69 dollars per hr. But i do alot of work for this client. He ownes several Business that i also do. Marks Mowing Service

9. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

stones estimates seem the best if not right on ....drop your guy off with a mower and trimmer and lunch then go do your daily route pick him up at end of day when he is finished.

10. TylerAssociatesLLC

Ryan, 16 total hours. my crews are two man crews. so they will be done in 8 hours.
    Labor for the Day with ins... $170
    Cost of running mowers..... $120
    Small equipment.............$20
    Ins. overhead.............. $10
    Truck and trailer.......... $20
    total cost $340
    kinda sounds like Stone

40 and acre seems high though sixty some and hour is nice

My concern is someone with some really big mower gonna be able to cut it faster and cheaper.
    It would be nice to get the job and the extra $15,000 cash flow.