How much per linear foot to edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harleysville7, Dec 6, 2009.

1. harleysville7

harleysville7 LawnSite Member

I am bidding on a large commercial job with over 7500 linear feet of curbing and side walks.
    They want a 1 time cost to edge in the spring with a mechanical edger and then we will maintain with a string edging...

We normally do residential and I would like to get some input on what you guys would charge for a job of this size?

Price per linear foot?

Or charge by the hour? not sure how long it would take to edge this..

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Here's a idea, measure off the 7500ft and walk it at the pace you'd edge it. There's what you need to charge AND you'll need to bid it accordingly if your going to maintain it throughout the cutting season. It could take WAY longer then you thought it would and you'll lose that much more each time you maintain it.
    7500ft is well over a mile. I'd imagine it would take someone at a slow walking pace a good couple of hours or more if your watching to make sure you get it all. That's a lot of time spent without income on the job. Price that much into the weekly bid.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Should take about 30-40min of walking not counting the walk back to the truck. Then you have to figure blade changes and fueling up.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Let me guess, you can spread 10 yards of mulch in an hour?

5. unkownfl

I could spray 10 yards of mulch in less then a hour. Its only 1.4 miles of edging. A 3mph walk is pretty slow so thats about 25 mins to walk it is all I'am saying. I said you have to count the time back to the truck because I don't know if it is 1.4 miles going in one direction or if it is a circle. I also said to count the time to change blades and fuel up.

6. harleysville7

I was thinking around .15 cents per foot..
    This would be around $1125.00

I am sure I will go through a ton of blades and I figure it would take 2 guys at least 4 hours..

Anyone out there charging by the foot?

7. harleysville7

I was also including the time to blow and clean up all the debris from trimming....

Any thoughts?

8. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Damn wish I could get edging jobs that big. Your figure seems OK but you will earn every penny. Maybe shoot for the .15 cent per foot deal plus a the cost of a 10 pack of blades.

9. unkownfl

I see two guys edge a bike trail that is 8 miles long in a day so thats 16 miles of edging. Of course they have a gator with a platform sticking out for someone to stand on with the edger and they pull a tow behind blower.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I charge a penny a foot for regularly maintained concrete edging.

The cost to do a "first time" edging job would depend on the condition of the edging but I doubt I would try to get $281.25 per man hour to do the job. That sounds seriously high.