How much per man hour for mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

On commercial mowing jobs how much do you charge per man when looking to give an estimate? I know most charge around $35 per hour for labor jobs... Is it the same for mowing?

Thanks

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think $35 per man hour is about right for mowing (from $25 to $40 down here depending on overhead)...Just labor (without equipment) is a little lower down here.

Again it all depends on your overhead...

3. Lawn-Scapes

Damn... Someone told me $15 so I went with it. I screwed up my first commercial bid!!!

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Depends on the work being done,also. If you are
    just going to trim shrubs,that's one thing. But I
    have done jobs where I am lifting heavy things all
    day like block or soil, and I would think at the end
    of the day, "man, I wish I would have been mowing!"
    I believe you should make more. My buddy who has a
    big operation does mowing on 3 days, then landscaping
    on the other 3. He says the "other 3" is how he makes
    his big bucks! You would be surprised how much.Therefore
    I really do not tell them how much I charge per hr. Just
    estimate the time and give 'em a price. I like to shoot
    for $50.00/hr.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

a great rule of thumb is to charge the amount of $$ per hour which you must make to live ......compare to YOUR LOCAL cost of living ....in MD I'd say the cost of living must be high (close to DC) ....as far as daily living, rent or owning a home, taxes, etc.

if you make $15 per hour 40 hours week that's $600 ....take out your daily expenses, taxes, cost of equip, fuel,phone, advo, n all the other things which cost us to operate ....after all that from your $600 is approx take home pay ....

what if you charge $25 well that $1000 ....$35 whould be $1400.00 (now we can put food on the table)....this all assumes that one has a full week of work ....of course with a 50 hr week @ $35 ...is even better

still chaulk it up to experience ...if your not super busy ....do the work ($15 n hour is better than watching the bills pile up)....... attempt to do the work ....until it places a burden on your weekly schedule ....than tell em you need more ...good luck ;->

6. Lawn-Scapes

Okay... Hope we are not confused...

I'm talking about additional men not including yourself. For example: A job will take you and another man 'x' amount of hours... $50 per hour for yourself and how much per hour for the other man?

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They are still using your equipment...You have to pay them and the taxes that come with it. You need to make a profit even with the extra persons work. The rates should be the same. The commercial property does not know how much each employee of yours makes on the job. So you should get the maximum for each man hr ,that is accomplished by your company, that the market will allow. If you need to charge MORE for yourself that is great, but do not LOWER the rate for another. (Saying if the rate is $35 per man hr..and you want more for yourself then have it at $45 per man hr for yourself and $35 per man hr for employees)

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, sounds like that's not too bad, $15 for the other guy ... depending on wht he's gettin' paid.

9. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

TSG...

When you heard $15/hour for your employees that is always ABOVE what you charge yourself. It all depends what you are doing. I have gome as high as $110./hr for myself on my bobcat, and any extra "help" I use (shoveling, raking..) would be between 15-25/man. For lawn cutting, it's just whatever the bid is. The employees make it so much easier on me, and opens up more time to get more jobs done. What did you finally decide to bid at?

Scott

10. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

if hes running a piece of your equipment or wether hes not that man should be making you almost twice as fast - i charge the same - $40 - $50 per man per hour weather its mowing, weedeating, pulling weeds , whatever - the client dont like it then they can have fun themselvs getting calused hands and feet and sore back and ankles - keep in mind that in this line of work its short lived unless you expand enough to manage a business from a air conditioned desk as im sure some of you do already - some are luckier than others -im not there yet - for me and who works with me its nose to the grind stone - blood ,sweat, and tears - hope you ate your wheaties.