How much per square foot?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tim@AcesLCLS, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Tim@AcesLCLS

Tim@AcesLCLS LawnSite Member

My partner and I have come to the conclusion that charging .0025 per square foot on the average lawn after spring cleanup will be appropriate, for example my lawn is 19107 square feet and we have been doing it for my folks for $45 which breaks down to actually $47. Does this sound about right? How about .02 for a really nasty cleanup (lots of leaves, sticks, general crud) and maybe .01 on something that is basically a first mow and a little stuff leftover. These prices include thatching. We also offer Lesco soil tests for $20 and a free consultation on what they want sprayed.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That works great....until you get to a lawn that has ditches and/or hills, small islands or areas with limited access. Also, what are the licensing requirements for spraying in CT.?

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess this would work until you got up above about a half acre... then it starts to get a little dicey in my opinion. This is a good way to figure out that smaller properties really do end up making you more money. An average 10,000 square foot lawn would go for $25 using the .0025 per square foot rule. But no way would you get $105 for about an acre.

4. Tim@AcesLCLS

I live on about 3/4 of an acre but that square footage is minus the house.

5. Tim@AcesLCLS

I will rework my formula to configure a $30 minimum perhaps then the higher numbers should work out too.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I would break it down like this: .0025 for the first 10,000 sq ft, .0015 for the next 10,000 sq ft, .00125 for the next 10,000 sq ft, and .001 for the next 12,000 sq ft. That would break down to $64.50 for a 1 acre property. It's really getting late for me to be thinking too hard about this. Does that even sound remotely close to being on the mark for anyone? I am honestly just goofing around with numbers having some numerical fun, so to speak. Don't rip me for being a numbers idiot. haha There is pretty much no way I would put any stock into this. I just decided to have some fun.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, what you want to do - is if you are going to figure up a "formula" for it, you need to do it like this.... You have x amount for a stop fee, then y amount for every thousand. This way, you always have a set minimum. As the properties get bigger, the stop fee, being at x amount, gets to be a smaller percentage to the property. Example: 1/2 lot...(20M of turf). $25 stop fee, and $.75 (75 cents) per M. This gives you about $40 for the 1/2 acre. Now,...1/4 acre (10M of turf)...$25 stop fee and $7.50 for a total of $32.50. A full acre lot (minus house and drive will give you about 40M. So, $25 stop fee, + $30 gives you $55. Now, these numbers are just examples, and you would have to figure up your own costs to establish your price structures.