how much per tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by veltenslawncare, Sep 23, 2003.

1. veltenslawncare

veltenslawncare LawnSite Member

how much do you charge to cut down trees. about

-----------------------------------------that thick?
    just to cut it down not dig it up.
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming you were showing actual size about 6" diameter.
    I am fairly new to the business, so take this with a grain of salt.

I would estimate around $75.

This being said, I would have to see the location, like is it near power lines, or any other hazards.

If it is pretty much out in the open, cost would be covering my drive time, overhead (insurance, equipment, etc...) labor, and disposal.

If it is actually just to stop by and cut it down, and leave it on the ground in one piece, I'd do it for $20... but that would be way to easy! :D

Hope this helps.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Around $150. It will probably take you 20 minutes to cut it down and into pieces and then 1-2 hrs total to load it into your truck and haul it to the dump plus the dumping fees. Good luck!
  5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

My Bid would be closer to $180
  6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

6" thick, on my computer screen it looks like 3.5 inches thick. Depends, if it were a maple or something like that and I were mowing the lawn and had my flatbed with me, where I could take the saw and be done with it in about 5 minutes, probably $40. If I had to go out and look at it and person wanted estimated and made it a big deal where I had to go back again, around $75 depending on how close I was to something else. Its just that I would use something like this as a lawn customer to make them glad that they have me to do these things and that It only takes me a few extra minutes to do it and be done with it. Some of you may think differently but many have posted that you will spend up to 5 minutes extra blowing off leaves this time of year out of the street for free, this takes the same amount of time except I'm getting paid double for mowing the lawn that time and your still doing the extra 5 minutes for free. That's the way I see and if you don't well thats fine.
  7. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

what's wrong with the tree? Do you have an opportunity to sell and install a new one? If the tree is in good condition but wrong place, can you move it for $?

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Quite a few variables to take into consideration before placing a bid. How tall is the tree? How close to house, power lines, phone lines, cable lines, fence, etc.... . Do you have easy access to the tree? What are your dump fees for your area?

To give you an idea of dump fees around here; anything 6" in diameter and larger carries a minimum charge of $120. Then you need to add your milage, travel time, insurance, taxes, labor, equipment maintenance. Am I missing anything?

My bid would be around $318.

I know a lot of you may dispute this bid thinking I'm too expensive, but I know what my operating costs are. The best you can ever do is place a bid, and wait.
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know how much to charge for trees, you need to do a few to figure it out accurately, since its based on an hourly concept that comes out as a single fixex total.

Last week, we removed from near the sidewalk, 3 thirty foot tall Lindens with 12" trunks - 15' spread.

Sometimes we use a chipper, this one was a trailer job.

We had them down, dissected and loaded - all 3 - in 1 hour and 10 minutes (my helper happened to time it).

Debris removal is 1 hour round trip to the free woody debris dump site.

That job was bid at $650 which covered $175 of subcontracted stump grinding.

Including estimate time, that was about 3 hours total for $460 profit - so about $155 per hour.

That's the difference between lawn mowing and tree work.

One's consistent, low paying and marries someone to a property every week, the other is inconsistent with high hourly pay and high schedule flexibility.

Both have benefits that build nice enterprises once someone picks which aspects they want to live with.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

is that a tree? or a stick? what kind of tree is that? at that thickness, looks like i could pull it out with my hands