How much profit on shrubs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stuttering Stan, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

How much profit do you make on shrubs. I still go by the old addage to charge double what you paid for it. Ex: A 3gal wax myrtle costs $18, I charge $18 to put it in the ground, total of $36 billed to customer. Is this still usual practice?

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I do 2.5 cost of shrub for install and warranty. So 18 dollar plant would be total of 45 installed and warrantied for one year.

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the nursery give you a warranty or are you risking out of pocket warranty?

4. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Out of pocket. My nusuries will give me a contractor discount with no warranty, or pay retail and get the warranty. What warranty you offer to customers is up to you

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Your nursery should give you contractors price and if the plant dies by no fault of your planting or your customer watering or care,then your nursery should replace that plant regardless if you get contractors price or not.You should be able to return a plant within the 1st month if something was wrong with it when you bought it it should die within the first month it's in the ground or at least fail to thrive.
    Why should you eat that just cuz your a contractor?I get contractors price and can return a plant if it dies,but I am carefull to make sure it not mine nor my clients fault,but if you pick good plants in the 1st place,and use good planting methods,you won't run into this problem very often.

6. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

the two better wholesale nurseries in the indianapolis area do not offer warranty - for a simple install of several shrubs we use 3 x the price. for a larger landscape project we figure labor a little differently.

7. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Which price do you double, the contractor price or the retail price?? If you get the shrub for the contractor price do you charge double the retail price??

8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

When your auto mechanic puts in a part he marks it up & charges you labor?.........Thats how I charge . A $18 plant wholesale, is doubled [ if it looks good enough] and a labor rate is added [ how do some of you guys ever make a "Profit"?] payup.....if a 1 yr warranty is wanted then we double the total cost of the job [ to cover both materials & labor again].....in NY you will be hard press to find any wholesale nursery that will warranty anything, and resale certificate, whats that?.......they charge for sales tax on everything to everybody!

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's very hard to charge three times the price on every plant you put in the ground if you are planting in quantity,say 150 plants or more ..if you have a big job,the charge per plant should be lower.

10. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Sheshovel, a good itemized proposal, fully broken down[ so" plain ",that the home-owner can see all that is involed in a job, has always worked for me], sure its harder to get 3-times the cost on some plant material?....but if I purchase volume on perennials [ flats of 4-inch starters] its easy to mark them up double $3-4 bucks and a $150, 2 1/2 inch caliper tree can easily be charged $450 installed, charges for plant selection,pick-up and delivery, soil preparation,"All add to the bottom line on my jobs........its true when you compare prices [ wholesale] on gallons 3-7gal plants our nursery's seem to have a heavy hand, prices can vary from $!7-28 for the same plant. So its true that all plant material cant be doubled......But you should at least try to maintain a price structure, that works for you.....PS, also liked your "Truck", regards :waving: :angel: :cool2: payup