1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How much quicker is the extra 13"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassMastersKS, Jan 7, 2008.

1. GrassMastersKS

GrassMastersKS LawnSite Member

Over the last two years i have been mowing my lawns with a commercial 21" toro push mower. I am thinking about buying a larger commercial scale 32 or 34" mower. I would like to know how much faster does the extra inches go in time it takes to cut a lawn. At some point i would like to purchase a hustler ztr, but that'll take some more $. Thank you
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would guess at least twice as fast if you use a sulky with the 32".
  3. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

takes me 45 min to cut this backyard with a 21" 15 min with a 32" exmark
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The fact that you wont have to turn around near as much speeds things up alot too.
  5. GrassMastersKS

GrassMastersKS LawnSite Member

Sweet, now what brand do you reccomend? How much do those sulkys or exmarks run? Thank you for the answers
  6. delphied

Look at some adds on Ebay
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What ever brand the best dealer in your area sells....
    You know... the dealer who makes keeping his commercial guys cutting his #1 priority.

If you don't have one of those... then the best used one you can come across that you can get parts for.

There is really not that much difference between the small walkbehinds in that class.
  8. delphied

I suggest you search Toro Tru Trac on youtube.com. Its a slick setup.
  9. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

You know I have the same question here. How much quicker is it to have a larger mower.

I have a 32" Lesco that I started using a lot more then I had in the past. It did speed up my mowing times but at the same time I didn't think that it gave that great of a cut. Is it just me or do the larger mowers not give that great of a cut ?

Also I have noticed that some companies rather than getting a larger mower they would just get an extra guy and run an extra mower on all the lawns. This might cost a little more but also might even be faster then having a 32" to haul around all day.
  10. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I went from mowing 40 yards a week by myself with a 21 to a 32, I mow anywhere from 75-80 now. These are all city lots also. I never hate doing a yard now because I do not have to push that 21 around. I would always recommend going with the most efficient machine(bigger) you can afford. I am about to buy a 48 for the fronts and just use the 32 for the backs. There is no telling how much time this will cut off my days. More time for more customers.