how much rain is enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by peewee, Aug 16, 2001.

1. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

I am wondering if the grass is ever going to grow again! In central ontario we have had basically nothing for rain in 2 months. A couple of times we had 1-2 hour downpours and I got all excited but it did nothing for the grass. How many inches or hours or days will it take for a burnt brown country lot to grow up and be healthy?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Iam about 560 km southwest of you.
    We have had almost six hours of rain now.
    Hope some comes your way.:cool:

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

had light rain since noon in t.o.

dont know if it'll help, but it can't hurt.:)

4. how much rain you need is not something that i can answer. however what you want is a nice slow rain that lasts for a time. these downpours that we get for 1/2 hr at a time is good for only one thing- that is filling up resevoirs. the large droplets do more damage than good to the turf because they bounce off the ground and become runoff for the most part. runoff causes erosion which causes other problems for us. if you get a rain where the droplets are smaller or where its a mix of small and large droplets and that stays around for a day or however long you will be doin well. but as i have said large droplets do damage. they bust up foliage and twigs and what not because the plants are low on their H2O levels. if you have ever taken a pesticide class that would help you to understand it.

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

wE HAD THE SAME WEATHER HERE IN OHIO ALL SUMMER. WE ARE NOW GETTING THE RAIN AND COOLER TEMPS. THE TREND IS TOWARD IMPROVEMENT. HEY, IT WAS BAD,BUT NOT AS BAD AS '88!
    REMEMBER IT NEVER REALLY DID RAIN. IT WAS A DRY FALL AND WINTER.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

It is suggested that you water your lawn at least 1 Inch a week. But remember, rain has nitrogen and other essential's that help out much better. So pray for a slow steady rain, or do a rain dance.....it just might work!